Advice much needed

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Advice much needed

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:24 am

Slowly but surely plugging money away for my 1st Yak. It will be a while yet. I've got my options limited to a few. Seeking some input from the experienced. Here is what I'm looking for -
1) Stability
2) Open design
3) Decent tracking
4) Not to heavy
This will be a lake only vessel. Stability is of most importance. I want something that IS NOT TIPPY. At least minimal tippyness. I've been reading and watching videos a lot, but one thing that I can't find a lot of information is hull design. So if anyone can point me in the right direction on the hull design that will be best for mostly flat water that would be great. I understand seat height will play a role in the amount of rocker, but I want the best from both a standard and elevated seating position. The Hobie Pro Angler is not an option so let's just rule that out. All the crafts I'm about to list have a floor plan I dig. I want something that will track fair or better in a lake setting. If a rudder option is available I will get that as well. Lastly I'd like to keep loading and unloading fairly simple. I'll be roof racking it. Here are my choices in no order, all wider style kayaks. Please feel free to add as mush input as possible.
1) Feelfree Lure 11.5 (leg room is of concern)
2) Old Town Predator MX (lowest weight capacity)
3) Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 (kinda big maybe?)
4) Jackson Coosa HD (my favorite on paper)
Thanks!!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Advise much needed

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:38 am

I'll also add I will most likely never be fishing from a standing position. If I need to stretch I'll beach it or get out in shallow water.
I'd also be willing to spend the coin on a Slayer Propel 13 if the juice is worth the squeeze. I'm a little concerned that always having my legs elevated could become tiresome, and when putting them down space is limited and cramped. I'm ready to here your thoughts.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:49 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:I'll also add I will most likely never be fishing from a standing position. If I need to stretch I'll beach it or get out in shallow water.
You sure? I always fished sitting down in my canoe till this year, now I only sit to paddle long distances. Yeah it's tippy as all get out, but man is it nice to be up high to not only see targets better, but make pitches and skips. With a stable Kayak I imagine it would be even better.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:50 am

My bad. I forgot to mention the NuCanoe Frontier. This sucker us 41 inches wide. But I've read that it's quite tippy. So many different opinions on line from people that have used or demoed maybe 2 yaks. This is even harder that picking a fishing rod!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:51 am

Teal101 wrote:
Hogsticker2 wrote:I'll also add I will most likely never be fishing from a standing position. If I need to stretch I'll beach it or get out in shallow water.
You sure? I always fished sitting down in my canoe till this year, now I only sit to paddle long distances. Yeah it's tippy as all get out, but man is it nice to be up high to not only see targets better, but make pitches and skips. With a stable Kayak I imagine it would be even better.
I'm sure man. I'm a weak swimmer. Safety 1st :lol:

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 3:29 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:
Teal101 wrote:
I'm sure man. I'm a weak swimmer. Safety 1st :lol:
:lol:

I wasnt going to mention my buddy already fell out of his this year :whistle: Wind blew him into an overhanging tree when he was trying to free a snag, pushed him right over :lol:

wink
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wink » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:33 pm

A few things to consider, longer and narrower kayaks are faster, more efficient, and easier to keep in a straight line, they will also handle rough water better. A shorter and wider kayak becomes slower, more stable, and easier to turn. So the trick is to find a balance between the 2.

As I have said before and I can't stress this enough Try before you buy. For the type of water you are going to fish I would go no less than a 13 foot yak. The Old Town Predator MX, Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 and the Jackson Coosa HD are all good boats but you have to get your butt into them to really find out which one will suit you needs.

Good Luck

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:40 pm

I have experience with a few kayaks. If you want a kayak that is SUPER stable i would visit the Old town predator MX vs OK BGII. The predator MX is shorter and I think only slightly lighter. After paddling both I didn't notice that the MX was anymore agile than the BGII, but the BGII tracks better and is faster with a 600lb weight capacity.

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:45 pm

One thing people like better about the predator mx is that is has a flat deck vs the mod pod with hatch on the BGII.
I have to say I wouldn't give up the mod up and hatch the amount storage that it adds is impressive and to top it off its readily accessible storage. The other negative that I noted about the predator MX is that when I stood to fish on it the front of the deck would flood through the scupper holes then drain when I sat down. I am 225lbs for reference.

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:06 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I've completely changed gears though. I'm going to get a Sportspal canoe, roof rack, and electric trolling motor :lol: . May also get a canoe outrigger depending on how stable it feels to me. I think this will suit my needs and desires quite nicely!

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:58 am

Hogsticker2 wrote:Thanks for the input guys. I've completely changed gears though. I'm going to get a Sportspal canoe, roof rack, and electric trolling motor :lol: . May also get a canoe outrigger depending on how stable it feels to me. I think this will suit my needs and desires quite nicely!
You'll want the outrigger :lol: I want one, just not sure how it will work when paddling.

GaterB
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Advice much needed

Post by GaterB » Mon Aug 22, 2016 2:20 am

I would agree with the above stated that a kayak allowing you to stand is something to consider. 5+ hours sitting is rough on a lower back. Plus all of the added advantages of fishing while standing. The new technology fishing kayaks employ now is impressive. I've missed big hooksets while standing and never felt off balance at all.