I need a Kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

I need a Kayak

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:11 am

New to kayaks and brands.

Here is a few I have been looking at.

Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Advance Angler Kayak
Old town predator 13 and predator MX
Ocean Kayak big predator II

I need the most stable, that is the most important to me.

Any info will help a ton, thanks...

proatheart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: I need a Kayak

Post by proatheart » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:01 am

I was looking at them all recently and my 3 are similar.

predator XL (minn kota version)
Jackson kayak- Coosa HD
and also the big game II.

depending on what you are looking for in a rig is where the answer lays.
ill be honest and say im leaning heavily towards the Coosa HS solely based on the features it is jammed packed with. the price tag is at the top end of what you are looking at however, the wider the boat the more stable. also look at the keel, flat bottom is stable and slow and tracks a little less straight. whereas if you have a little more of a point, it will track straight tip a little more for turning and not as good in tight spaces.

someone on here just got the big game I believe, and to my knowledge not a lot of people have the old town brand..

again all depends on what you will use it for and what you want to spend.

good luck

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:12 am

Most stable? Hobie PA.
Unless it's been bested, but when I bought mine two years ago, there were none better.

wink
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by wink » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:56 am

BRONZEBACK32 wrote:New to kayaks and brands.

Here is a few I have been looking at.

Wilderness Systems Ride 115X Advance Angler Kayak
Old town predator 13 and predator MX
Ocean Kayak big predator II

I need the most stable, that is the most important to me.

Any info will help a ton, thanks...
The best advise is to try before you buy. I have seen a lot of newbie's buy a kayak and then find out that it doesn't suit there needs. A few things to take into consideration, are you paddling long distances? type of water you are fishing ( rivers, small lakes, big water)? your size and weight, Dealer reputation and service.

If your looking for the best stability or the 3 you have picked then go with the Old Town Predater as length of boat also helps with stability. If price is not an issue than the Hoibie Pro angler wins hands down.

Bassfan22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bassfan22 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:20 am

My vote goes to the outback for that price range. I agree with wink. Try before you buy.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Price, I would like to keep it around $1,000

I'm 6'3" 200lbs with blue eyes and a nice tight body ;)

Will be fishing small lakes and ponds, not going for any long distance paddling.

I would love Hobie but the price is out of my range right now....

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:13 pm

Have you looked at NuCanoe?

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:12 pm

If stability is your main concern, I'm not sure you will find a more stable one man boat. Perfect for small lakes imo. Tons of cool accessories and in your price range. I had full intent on getting one but s**t came up as usual. Here's a quick vid -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SruvUYMCvk

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:30 pm

My suggestion would be a Hobie.. Spend the extra money for the mirage drive which will put your kayak fishing experience on a different level. The fact that you can pedal and fish at the same time is fantastic!

Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hogsticker2 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:16 pm

JerryC wrote:My suggestion would be a Hobie.. Spend the extra money for the mirage drive which will put your kayak fishing experience on a different level. The fact that you can pedal and fish at the same time is fantastic!
I agree, but not everyone can throw down 3 grand on a kayak.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:19 pm

Hogsticker2 wrote:
JerryC wrote:My suggestion would be a Hobie.. Spend the extra money for the mirage drive which will put your kayak fishing experience on a different level. The fact that you can pedal and fish at the same time is fantastic!
I agree, but not everyone can throw down 3 grand on a kayak.
i got my hobie outback for $1400, it was 2 years old and just sitting at the kayak place upside down outside... i may have gotten lucky.

Bubbleboy
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Bubbleboy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:43 pm

I agree with Wink. I haven't always followed the try before you buy rule, and needless to say I don't have them any more. I can't speak highly enough about Hobies. I'm onto my 10th Hobie and just picked up the kids a couple of Sports. Once you peddle, you won't want to paddle again. More time for a rod in the hands with a line in the water = more hookup chances.

Good luck in your search!

bradbellflower
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by bradbellflower » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:15 am

My friend has the Ocean Kayak Big Predator II. He always brags about how stable it is, must be, lots of girth.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Fri Apr 03, 2015 3:41 am

bradbellflower wrote:My friend has the Ocean Kayak Big Predator II. He always brags about how stable it is, must be, lots of girth.
It is! Its a beast of a kayak.. my buddy has one with bassyacks trolling motor on back.. he fits a 31 size battery in the front hatch, Humminbird with SI & TM on back..

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:20 am

The big game 2 is an awesome boat, great for big, rougher water....the Hobies are of course nice, but IMO overpriced, and if you want to pedal, you might do well to look at the Native propel yaks, then at least you can go backwards as well as forwards....but they too, are out of your wanted price range, by double....if you are only planning on using the boat on small water,ponds and such, and want stability over glide and speed, you could do no better than the feelfree Mokken Angler or better yet, the new lure model....ten footer is perfect for small water, and makes for a great lower class whitewater boat too, up to max class III....36" wide if I remember correctly....I have the Mokken 10 Angler, and it is perfect for small water. Simply perfect. Additionally, the Lure 10 can be had for about 900....might be able to pick up a Mokken10 Angler new, last years model, still on clearance some places..in the 700-800 range.Both also have the "wheel in the keel", makes transport from vehicle to water a lot easier... I really do believe the Feelfree would be perfect for your application,please do give em a look see....