My rig

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

My rig

Post by keng8554 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:54 pm

What better to do in 70 degree weather with ice still on the lakes? Got my rigging updated for this season and some pics to show it off.

Here's the view from behind

Here is my precision pak XL holding tons of gear and the rods in the holders

Here is my ram mount cellphone holder for taking selfies. This set up allows me to take pics hands free using voice commands

Here is the Ram Mount transducer arm

Here is my center piece. The Lowrance HDS5 Gen 2 with insight genesis subscription. You can see the map I made of my favorite fishing hole loaded. You can also see my hook remover/scissors tethered via an ID badge reel and Scotty fender ring

This is my anchor setup. Dog leash, heavy duty velcro, 5lb weight and another Fender ring. Cheap and easy but has some draw backs.

YakAttack
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: My rig

Post by YakAttack » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:40 pm

Looks sweet Keng! My BG2 is being delivered today...spent a couple of hours last night moving the other yaks to make room for it. I'm not going to know how to act...not having to drill holes in the hull for other mounts. I've been hearing that the seat is really comfy and you can sit for hours without going numb...true?

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:05 am

The seat is definitely comfortable. Its not until I have back to back 12 hour days on the water does it bother me at all.

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:07 am

And the mounting plates are amazing. I decided to swap a Scotty mount for a ram ball and pulled the whole plate and moved it to a different location. With everything being interchangeable there's a lot less stress with drilling.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by Teal101 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 1:16 am

Do you have structurescan installed on there as well?

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:22 am

Teal101 wrote:Do you have structurescan installed on there as well?
No structure scan. Maybe in the future but probably not.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:58 am

Looks nice. I hope to be getting a fish finder with DI and SI high def soon :whistle:
Nice anchor idea, unfortunately several of the lakes I pitch docks at are 30' :shock: 20 feet off shore, so I have to do the old rope and pulley system.
How much are the install kits for fish finder? And do they include battery?

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 1:49 pm

I have several optional parts for the finder install. The ram mount is about 35$ and the hobie thru hull grommets are 15$ for a kit. The ram transducer arm is about 45$. There are plenty of options to do this though.

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:15 pm

keng8554 wrote:I have several optional parts for the finder install. The ram mount is about 35$ and the hobie thru hull grommets are 15$ for a kit. The ram transducer arm is about 45$. There are plenty of options to do this though.
Thanks. I'm a rookie

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 23, 2015 11:31 pm

Great job!

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:43 am

You guys with your fancy fish finders and such lol...seems foreign to me for yaking. But then again, I have always been a river yak fella, and shooting rocky rapids with a transducer below deck would have just been a waste of money. Reckon now at I am setting up a purely lake yak, I need to consider the fish finder options as well...but eh, I don't know...obviously I can see the advantages, but it just seems to go against the grain for me, like it takes away from the "oneness", from the sense of sport...not opposed, nothing like that, it's just...well, kind of the difference between hunting with a rifle or a recurve. I enjoy hunting with a rifle at times, but when I want to bow hunt I like to keep it primitive, no crossbows or such...hell, I don't know. Just kinda thinking out loud.
At any rate, some clever ideas employed Kenji. Just getting ready to order my accessories probably tomorrow....and within a couple of weeks, pike and walleye, perhaps even smallie ought to be getting good! Been a loooong time coming...

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:35 am

I think the perspective on kayak fishing is changing. There definitely is the aspect of simplicity for a man powered craft. But they are equally adept at becoming high tech fish catching vessels. For some its just a way to get into skinny or hard to reach water.

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:44 am

For me its a lifestyle thing. I live in an apartment and don't have the space for a boat at the moment. I also don't have the time to deal with the maintenance of a bass boat. It's also nice to not have the headache of dealing with those things either.

PS....It's not too early for the bass!