Perception Sport Striker 11.5

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
WIPopper
Angler
Angler

Perception Sport Striker 11.5

Post by WIPopper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:15 am

Does anyone have any experience with this yak? I'm considering picking it up as a first fishing yak and both the price and features are very appealing. The only negatives I'm finding on it are poor tracking.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Perception Sport Striker 11.5

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 16, 2015 2:27 am

I have 0 details on this kayak but it looks nice. Make sure it is wide enough for you. Not sure if your a small or big dude but make sure its wide enough for you.

WIPopper
Angler
Angler

Post by WIPopper » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:12 am

I'm 6 foot 170 lbs. The width on Perceptions website lists it at 33" at its widest. It uses a tri-hull design so I'm hoping it's very stable. I'm just worried about difficulty of manuvering.

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Mar 16, 2015 3:21 am

WIPopper wrote:I'm 6 foot 170 lbs. The width on Perceptions website lists it at 33" at its widest. It uses a tri-hull design so I'm hoping it's very stable. I'm just worried about difficulty of manuvering.
Sounds good.. i'm the same weight..

Although, i do suggest for you a 12' kayak or slightly longer.. the few inches go a long way

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:24 am

JerryC wrote:
WIPopper wrote:I'm 6 foot 170 lbs. The width on Perceptions website lists it at 33" at its widest. It uses a tri-hull design so I'm hoping it's very stable. I'm just worried about difficulty of manuvering.
Sounds good.. i'm the same weight..

Although, i do suggest for you a 12' kayak or slightly longer.. the few inches go a long way
Agree with this. I love my new Big Game II it's 12'9 or so, but I'm find myself wishing I would have got a 13'+ Old Town Predator' yak...and I would go a little wider than I did, I think about 35-36" would be perfect for me, but I stand and fish about 90% of the time. I don't know other than Hobie who even offers that wide of a kayak. But my next one will be a little longer for sure.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:11 am

Trent, going that wide you might just want to stay with your Old Town, or perhaps go into NuCanoe territory, unless you want to cough up those big bucks for a Hobie...the BG2 is amongst the widest yaks around, only ones that tend to be a bit wider are some of the shorter 10 footers such as the feelfree mokken angler 10 (a boat I have), but a boat that small and wide has very little glide ability, you end up just kinda wiggling around like a big Zara spook when paddling :laugh1: been there and done that for certain...makes for a good river boat tho, moving water...the only other one I can think of is the Jackson Big Rig, but man, that yak goes almost 100 pounds...

trent_s
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by trent_s » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:43 am

CALL ME RIFLE wrote:Trent, going that wide you might just want to stay with your Old Town, or perhaps go into NuCanoe territory, unless you want to cough up those big bucks for a Hobie...the BG2 is amongst the widest yaks around, only ones that tend to be a bit wider are some of the shorter 10 footers such as the feelfree mokken angler 10 (a boat I have), but a boat that small and wide has very little glide ability, you end up just kinda wiggling around like a big Zara spook when paddling :laugh1: been there and done that for certain...makes for a good river boat tho, moving water...the only other one I can think of is the Jackson Big Rig, but man, that yak goes almost 100 pounds...
Lol I know! I initially wanted a Hobie, but couldn't cough up $5k :lol:
I want the best of both worlds, I want it all man! No seriously though I wouldn't mind slightly more length so it would taper more and glide even better. But the longer they get the harder they are to haul. Life is a comprise :-({|=