Ocean Kayak Big Game II

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Ocean Kayak Big Game II

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:33 pm

Thoughts on this yak, anybody have one? I'm thinking this is the next yak I will be purchasing,specifically to use on larger local lakes that forbid gas powered craft...

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Ocean Kayak Big Game II

Post by keng8554 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:16 am

I have this boat and love it.

Pros - super stable, easy to stand and fish, Mounting plates make mods easy and remove stress of ruining your boat, tons of storage

Cons - feels sluggish at times

Here's a link to some of my videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgaZ_P ... UX8vfOjVbA

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:15 pm

That's awesome Kenji,thanks for the reply man...looks like we may even fish some of the same waters...lol, I live right across the Pa. line,about 15 minutes from Motown...small world!
I went ahead and ordered mine from Austin Kayak, couldnt find any local shops to check it or demo it unfortunately, almost got the same one you have but ended up going with the orange camo, and bought a yakattack center hatch replacement with built in gear track. Would love to hear about how you rigged yours,could always use some ideas...maybe even a pic or two if you have them?

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:47 pm

You're lucky, they didn't have the Orange Camo available when I bought mine. I love that look! That's awesome that we're so close, we should get together this season.

I haven't taken any pictures with the latest modifications, but I've mostly used ready to mount products. I store my yak at a friend's house so I won't be able to take any new pics and I have some stuff sitting here ready to be mounted.

I use a ram mount for my fish finder which is now a HDS-5 Gen 2. Its mounted on the mod pod. Then I use a ram mount transducer arm in a mounting plate.

I have a RAM cell phone holder that I will be using for photos and a Yak attack panfish pole for my go pro mount. I put two circle based flush mount scotty mounts on the circular surfaces behind the seat.

Then I made a very simple and interesting anchor rig. It uses a dog leash, heavy duty velcro and a Scotty mount with a scotty fender ring and a 5lb weight.

Finally i use the precision pak XL in the rear storage

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:33 pm

Thanks for the info man, would love to see pics, but I understand the situation...I can pretty well visualize everything you described tho, aside from the anchoring set up :D ...indeed we should get together and do some fishing this year, always looking for good fishin partners to head out with...have a crossover bass/duck boat by Ranger we can take out too, places like Cheat Lake or other spots that allow combustion engines 8-) ...but I must admit I love to yak fish. Just something about it, more tranquil..more "at one" with nature, with the whole experience of being out there...hooked up recently with another old buddy that I grew up with in Maryland, who also lives in Motown nowadays, and he is a big kayak fishing fan- supposedly knows some nice float locations for smallies, hopefully this will be a good year getting after the fish! I do some fishing in Wv., t must confess the majority of the angling I do tends to be in Pa.....know a great place for Pike, not too shabby for Largemouth either...but I definitely plan to hit a number of new locales this season. Think I will send you a private message here directly, definitely cool to make your acquaintance Kenji!

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:35 am

that sounds awesome. I'd love to show you my boat!

Alphahawk
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Alphahawk » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:35 am

I owned one for a year...fishing 4-5 days a week March through November. I loved the rig. I had a HB 899 si unit mounted to it and an anchor trolley. Even though I am a very large man I kept the seat in the elevated position. The most stable kayak I have fished out of. The cons to it for me is the weight. I am in my mid 60's and have had both rotator cuffs torn...and then repaired. I just got tired of lifting it onto my trailer. It is a great boat.

Regards

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:45 pm

Thanks for the input as well Alphahawk!The main reason I was opting for this yak was the reported stability and the weight capacity, and also having heard that it handled well for a boat it's size...I go about 6'4" and better than 300, so I need something that can hold weight and still draft relatively shallow...good to hear another positive report. She is supposed to get here tomorrow, can't wait to check her out in person!

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Post pics if you get it!

keng8554
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by keng8554 » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:26 pm

Here are some of mine when I first got it. I have done a lot of modding since then.

urbnimports
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by urbnimports » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:45 am

I have one which i might be selling...lots of accessories but the kayak is absolutely great!! I have a trolling motor on mine and it works fantastic!!

urbnimports
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by urbnimports » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:56 am

Here is a pic from a few years back...the kayak is amazing!! One of the best fishing investments i have made along with that trolling motor.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:04 pm

She came, and I dig her :big grin:

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Just trying a resize here

urbnimports
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by urbnimports » Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:47 am

oh that's a new model now...wow that color is dope!!!!!