Recommendation for beginner Kayak?

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Recommendation for beginner Kayak?

Post by IAY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:14 am

Hello TT,

I am looking to advance from only bank fishing, but I don't own a car that can tow large boats, so I am looking to purchase my first kayak. I want to purchase one that I will be perfectly happy with as entry model, without losing out on too much quality. In other words, what is the Curado I or Tatula for Kayaks? Thanks in advance for the help gents!

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Recommendation for beginner Kayak?

Post by Drewgill » Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:59 am

A few questions for you:

1) How much money are you are willing to spend? This is probably the most important question. Remember you’ll need a pfd and paddle as well.

2) What type of water do you plan on fishing? Rivers? Large lakes? Ponds? Saltwater? All of the above?

3) Do you foresee any kayak weight or length restrictions? Do you plan on car topping your boat? Bigger boats are obviously heavier and need more storage space.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:00 am

Sorry, I didn't add the details in the beginning.

I don't really care how much I spend, but I am not looking to break the bank doing so. Its a "entry level" kayak for me but I am not looking to cheap out on quality, so I want to get something that I will have all of the necessarily features but doesn't have to come with the ultimate comfort. I was thinking about keeping it under 1.2k.

I will be mainly fishing in calm river, ponds, and lakes, but being able to take it to some parts of Chesapeake Bay would be nice.

I will be car topping the boats so weight does pose some restrictions. I own a 2011 Acura TSX so I imagine, it can't take too much of weight.

Schlag
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Schlag » Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:37 am

Best bang for the buck would be the Perception Pescador Sport 10 or 12. It's basically a 2008 Wilderness Systems Tarpon. You can find them for $499 to $599 or even less on sale. All the big name sporting stores sell this yak.

http://www.perceptionkayaks.com/product ... ador_12_0/

Another option would be the Jackson Cruise 10 or 12. It has a much more comfortable seat, which will allow you to fish all day without discomfort. It goes for $850.

http://jacksonkayak.com/jk-kayaks/recre ... cruise-10/

Also might want to check out Liquid Logic's Coupe 10/xp or Versa Board. Both go for $800. Not sure if you can still get the upgraded seat for the Versa Board?

https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRCO1015.html
https://www.liquidlogickayaks.com/product/LRVB1215.html

If possible, test ride a couple and read some reviews. Good luck & have fun.

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:03 am

I will second all those recommendations and add browse Craigslist in your area. You can get a much better "bang for your buck" buying a used or demo kayak.

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:58 am

Another factor I would like to consider is whether I can stand up on the kayak. I want to be throwing swimbaits, and I don't think it would be efficient to do it while sitting.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Do you want sonar? If no then the original nucanoe. If yes then the froinier might be good but I have the original.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:54 pm

angry john wrote:Do you want sonar? If no then the original nucanoe. If yes then the froinier might be good but I have the original.
x2 on the Nucanoe! Definitely an awesome kayak/canoe hybrid!

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 am

Save yourself the trouble and just buy a Hobie with mirage drive. I don't know anyone that has a kayak that doesn't want one, or anyone with one who regrets it. For me the Outback seems like the do everything well sweet spot of their lineup.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:03 am

I don't want one as I fish with my kids and there not set up for two

IAY
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by IAY » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:06 pm

Thanks a bunch for the information guys. So far I narrowed my choice down to Coosa, Ride 115, and Frontier 12. Just have to do more research on the features and figure out what I want.

Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Handler » Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:10 pm

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:58 am

Great replies guys, I understand you wanting to keep it under or around $1,200 and that's a great budget. Take into consideration a PFD and paddle those will run you around $200-$300 total that's for a budget minded brand of decent quality. So that leaves you $900. Still for $900 you can get a good quality kayak. I've owned around 8 different kayaks from Hobie, Jackson, and Wilderness Systems. Now for $900 you're not going to get in a Hobie or Native Propel, but you can get in a very good Wilderness Systems, Native, Jackson, Old Town or Feel Free. The Perceptions are good boats, but lack some of the finer features of the Wilderness Systems like comfort, and stability. I have been paddling a Wilderness Systems Ride 135 for the past 3 years, and so far it is my favorite kayak beside the Pro Angler 14 that I had. I'm on the larger side 6'1" 220lb so I need a little larger kayak for my size and all the gear I take out. Always keep in mind the weight rating and try to stay 100lbs under it for best performance. In the Ride 135 I am able to stand, and it's faster than the Ride 115 so I can cover more water and it's more efficient paddling. Please test as many kayaks as you can and find what works best for you. I do have friends that have the Nucanoes, and they enjoy them especially because they can carry small children or even two grown people, but it's nothing I would want to paddle more than 3-4 miles max.

Remember there is always used so if you find what you like new you can always search for it used and save 20-30% off retail. Also most dealers besides Hobie can work with you on accessories like paddles and PFD's, and some will even knock 10
-15% off the price of the boat, or everything.
Good luck on your search and try before you buy.

Jeremy