Pro's dont yak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Pro's dont yak

Post by angry john » Sat Oct 11, 2014 2:18 pm

I keep seeing all this advice to get out in the wind for great fishing. Wind in my yak kicks my butt and makes the entire experience miserable. I can do rain and a lot of other adverse conditions but high wind in a yak is for the birds.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Pro's dont yak

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:06 pm

Wind does make it difficult. What kind of kayak are you in? My top kayaks for fishing the wind in order are the Tarpon 160i, and Hobie Revolution 13. I also use a drift chute when I can to help manage the wind, and I have a rudder on all my kayaks that also helps. The lower the profile the less the wind will effect you. Not saying these kayaks are great for fishing in the wind, but saying it's manageable. It can be to windy where some lakes will get whit caps.

proatheart
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by proatheart » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:17 pm

I am by no means a pro, and by no means have a lot of experience yak fishing, however Sit-in yaks are horrid for fishing out of in the first place, let alone in windy conditions. if I were to tell you to fish in the wind on a yak, an on top model would be my method, as stated above only so much you can do to manage the wind, and it also depends where you fish. I think if you have to yak fish in the wind its gonna be a losing battle regardless...

Drewgill
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Drewgill » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:44 pm

Yep, it's usually a constant battle and can be extremely frustrating. I've used it all: anchors, drift chutes, stakeout poles, etc. It's still nearly pointless being out in sustained winds. However, I must say, pedal boats make a huge difference when in the wind. With my Propel, I can usually get my bow or stern into the wind and hold my position in most winds, but I'm still making constant adjustments. Most of the time I feel like I'm doing the 'rub your belly and pat your head' trick.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:09 am

An anchor trolley makes it somewhat bearable, but even I have my breaking point. I can take the rocking and rolling for a good bit, but sustained gusts are where I draw the line. I actually prefer a bit of chop.