Hook set in a yak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
greenpumpkin
Angler
Angler

Hook set in a yak

Post by greenpumpkin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:39 am

Im frustrated , fishing Texas rigged worms in my kayak. I missed a bunch of fish. Zero issues when standing on shore or bass boat. I use sharp gammy wide gap hooks and a mh rod. I guess I can go to braid if I have to. Any tips? Thanks

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Hook set in a yak

Post by WoodT » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:05 pm

Braid will help. I don't like mono or flouro much anyways but I think you need the line stretch even less in a yak. Don't know if you have premature hook set going...once it gets in my head I have to unwinds it a little. More traditional hook shapes like you find with the Owner CPS and o'shaughnessy are going to give you a better hook up ratio.

I am higher up and in a better posture in my wavewalk yak than traditional sit-down yaks so I feel I have a better angle to reel down into the fish prior to hook set. That's an option too, just more expensive than braid. ;-)

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:25 pm

Hi greenpumpkin,

I think that Braid is the answer to your problem. Especially with spinning gear. Just a quick snap and you will be hooked up. If you are using bait casting equipment with heavier weights and baits you will need a stronger hook set but nothing outrageous. I think Yak's and braid were made for each other. You might also need a little stiffer tip. Don't know what equipment you are using.

Frank

Redfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Redfish » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:01 am

What kind of yak? Sit in or sit on? Sit ins are a bit tuffer. A sit on should be no problem at all. It isnt for me (well I have to learn to not set the hook so darn hard). Most of all practice you have to learn to fish all over.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:31 am

I changed how i set the hook most of the time, i now use a giant sweep to get a lot more line movement. The normal strait back is very limited while sitting down. I had to change up my game a lot when fishing hollow body frogs while standing. I give them a little slack and pop them very hard. I cannot swing hard and keep the pressure on as i will fall down. This is the hardest thing for me the the yak and i am doing ok. I have yet to land in the water or loose a fish, but the cover is not near as heavy here in the PNW as it is in other areas.

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 am

Longer rods help for one, and braid/flouro as stated. Also keep in mind the angle you set the hook IE, when you are close to cover a vertical 9-12 hookset would be better than a sweeping set. Just takes some practice and finding your limit on setting and yak stability.

masterbass
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by masterbass » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm

I switched everything to braid w/fluoro leaders and have no issues with hook sets in yak.