NuCanoe Frontier 12

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

NuCanoe Frontier 12

Post by shtuka » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 am

This is my third option for my new fishing kayak (1.Slayer 2.Cuda 3. Frontier).
I understand that this is hybrid, but the main attraction is stability and 360 deg captain seat - based just on these attributes it seems it would be an excellent fishing platform.
I would like to hear your experience with this kayak – especially from the (non- sponsored) owners.
Like in previous post, I will be using it 50% on a smaller lakes and other 50% on the Great Lakes, predominantly within 200m from the shore (bass, salmon, pike)
Thanks

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: NuCanoe Frontier 12

Post by under cover » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:57 pm

The stability of the Frontier 12 is no joke. The vids you've probably watched on youtube are accurate. I'm not a sponsor and have first hand experience with it with also having a 55# TM on it. For a stand up bassin platform, its definitely the way to go in a hybrid/yak. It is like standing on a floating dock and you feel very confident/solid/sure footed standing, casting, netting fish etc...

Feel free to pm me as I can give you more insight and show you some pics as well.

shtuka
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by shtuka » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:45 am

Sure, will do.
Thanks

Gleedaniel13
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Gleedaniel13 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:16 pm

This is my third option for my new fishing kayak (1.Slayer 2.Cuda 3. Frontier).
I understand that this is hybrid, but the main attraction is stability and 360 deg captain seat - based just on these attributes it seems it would be an excellent fishing platform.
I would like to hear your experience with this kayak – especially from the (non- sponsored) owners.
Like in previous post, I will be using it 50% on a smaller lakes and other 50% on the Great Lakes, predominantly within 200m from the shore (bass, salmon, pike)
Thanks
That would surely an excellent fishing platform. All are high tech gadget from you. If I have that kinds of gadget then I will surely get a lot of fish :D

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:45 pm

I have the original, and i am not sure how different the bottom shape is, for stability reasons. My 12" nucanoe original is very stable. I am 6'5" and 200 lbs and i stand in mine all the time. I run spinnerbaits and dropshot and tubes just fine. I will try frogging next season, but that might not be a great idea. It is the only worry i have as i get very aggressive on the floating frog hook sett. The only downfall to the boat that i have is using a sonar. Due to the double hull i cannot use the standard yak mount threw hull, and the inherent buoyancy is why i uses this boat. I fish with my 5 year old and he was 3 when we started. I felt it was an important safety feature. The frontier comes with options i cannot get for my boat like the support rail and that would be a nice feature.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:54 pm

Tough to beat the Hobie PA for stability and versatility - super shallow water excepted.
I have done everything standing from Lake St Clair cranking and DSing to frogging and flipping. I cash in at pretty near 300 pounds these days, and I would fall out of the yak long before I'd ever flip it. Great speed if you have the leg strength and stamina at walking pace. Hands free fishing as well.
Drawbacks are weight and mobility. Luckily some of that 3hundo is still muscle so I can roof rack it to and from on my own.