Controlling a Kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Controlling a Kayak

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:13 pm

How do you guys adeptly control a kayak when you have two hands on the rod and reel? I'm trying to mentally picture it.

I used to fish from an inflatable kickboat which allowed me to kick with fins while I fished and row to move from spot to spot. In a kickboat you kick and row backwards, while it looks like you move forward with something like the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler.

I had amazing control in a kickboat in windy conditions, which allowed me to stay in one spot, but at the same time be mobile if I wanted. I don't like using anachors. When the wind was blowing into the shore I would position my back to the wind and kick to stay in position while I cast to the shore. It doesn't look like this is possible with a kayak. It seems like you are more at the mercy of the wind while actually fishing.

Would some of you please shed some light on this?

scatter
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Controlling a Kayak

Post by scatter » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:22 pm

You can the mirage drive in backwards on a Hobie to reverse, the native watercraft propel yaks allow backpedaling or if in a paddle yak, I just fish with the paddle on my lap and if I'm being pulled a couple of one handed strokes (of the paddle) is usually enough. Small anchors on kayaks are a godsend too. I set mine up with a cleat by my seat and an eyelet at the stern:

JoseC
Angler
Angler

Post by JoseC » Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:39 pm

Micropterus salmoides wrote:How do you guys adeptly control a kayak when you have two hands on the rod and reel? I'm trying to mentally picture it.

I used to fish from an inflatable kickboat which allowed me to kick with fins while I fished and row to move from spot to spot. In a kickboat you kick and row backwards, while it looks like you move forward with something like the Hobie Mirage Pro Angler.

I had amazing control in a kickboat in windy conditions, which allowed me to stay in one spot, but at the same time be mobile if I wanted. I don't like using anachors. When the wind was blowing into the shore I would position my back to the wind and kick to stay in position while I cast to the shore. It doesn't look like this is possible with a kayak. It seems like you are more at the mercy of the wind while actually fishing.

Would some of you please shed some light on this?
With a hobie you can do exactly what you described. Its one of the main ways I fish in windy days, point to the wind or current, hold position by pedaling, fish the area, move to the next area and repeat.

:D

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:05 pm

JoseC wrote:With a hobie you can do exactly what you described. Its one of the main ways I fish in windy days, point to the wind or current, hold position by pedaling, fish the area, move to the next area and repeat.:D
By point to the wind do you mean the front of the kayak is pointing into the wind and then you pedal forward to stay in one spot? What about if the wind is behind you pushing you into the shore...how do you counter that? Can you only go forward or backwards depending on how the Mirage drive is set up or can you forward and backwards on the fly?

I have wondered how a kayak handles wind coming from multiple directions as well as the ability to pivot while both hands are on the rod/reel. In a kickboat I can handle wind hitting from multiple directions by kicking at various angles. It's also easy to spin on a dime. I also would carry upwards of 12 rods (laid horizontally) on my 10 1/2 ft kickboat which I don't think is possible with a kayak.

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:13 pm

Anchor trolley ...
anchor trolley.jpg
anchor trolley.jpg (43.44 KiB) Viewed 7949 times
The anchor rope goes through the ring on the trolley. Moving the trolley fore or aft changes the pivot (or fulcrum) point, thus rotating the kayak to the desired position.

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:35 pm

just curious if you liked the toon so much, why not get like a sea eagle frameless toon and put a 55 TM on it? still need to anchor at times sure but a great unit to stand & bass out of & can cover water with the TM.

Micropterus salmoides
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Micropterus salmoides » Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:57 pm

under cover wrote:just curious if you liked the toon so much, why not get like a sea eagle frameless toon and put a 55 TM on it? still need to anchor at times sure but a great unit to stand & bass out of & can cover water with the TM.
I can't fish from a kickboat anymore due to various sports injuries/repetitive strain injuries.

That sea eagle wouldn't work for me. The lakes I fish get really windy and choppy so I wouldn't be able to fish and control the motor at the same time. The only way that would would is if I had a foot control. I need to be able to have full control of the vessel while both hands are on the rod and reel. I don't want to use a paddle, nor can I really due to left shoulder/arm issues. I also wouldn't feel safe standing up in rough conditions.

The only option I can think of outside of a bass boat - too expensive - and the shore - after being on the water I don't like shore fishing as much - is an inflatable kickboat that has a foot platform and a trolling motor that has a foot control with full control, especially in windy conditions. Also the seat needs to be more comfortable than the typical cheap gray fold over seats on a lot of kickboats.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:01 am

To best acomplish what your trying to do is to have a trawling motor with control in your yak. I have seen a motor glide recently with a ver small control peddle and a long cord. You would have a settup just like a trawling motor on a bass boat but mounted on the rear. It would be very helpful to have a flat transum like on a nucanoe. The wind sucks in a yak, and you will never get the stability of a heavier platform. I fight the wind while going down a river and trying to fish at the same time. It is a much bigger challange than anything else i have done as far as boat control goes.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:22 pm

Native Ultimate w/ Propel or Native Mariner have pedal drive systems that allow going backward without moving the foot pedals around.....its just like riding a bike.

JoseC
Angler
Angler

Post by JoseC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm

Micropterus salmoides wrote:
JoseC wrote:With a hobie you can do exactly what you described. Its one of the main ways I fish in windy days, point to the wind or current, hold position by pedaling, fish the area, move to the next area and repeat.:D
By point to the wind do you mean the front of the kayak is pointing into the wind and then you pedal forward to stay in one spot? What about if the wind is behind you pushing you into the shore...how do you counter that? Can you only go forward or backwards depending on how the Mirage drive is set up or can you forward and backwards on the fly?

I have wondered how a kayak handles wind coming from multiple directions as well as the ability to pivot while both hands are on the rod/reel. In a kickboat I can handle wind hitting from multiple directions by kicking at various angles. It's also easy to spin on a dime. I also would carry upwards of 12 rods (laid horizontally) on my 10 1/2 ft kickboat which I don't think is possible with a kayak.

it handles very well in the wind. You just use your rudder to control the drift. Also if you leave your mirage drive fins pointing straight down, it acts as a centerboard and the kayak will track even better, so the amount of control you have is very substantial