Float Tube vs Pontoon vs Kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Float Tube vs Pontoon vs Kayak

Post by zodiak311 » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:21 pm

Hi TT,
I usually fish from a boat, but now want to get something for smaller bodies of water vs the California Delta. Was planning to fish at Lake Berryessa and Lake Sonoma a lot more this year.

Which of the three would you choose? Right now I am leaning more towards a Pontoon, since it is compact and more portable than a Kayak. I'm hoping to get some suggestions so I can start narrowing down my search. Safety is a priority for me since I am not the worlds greatest swimmer. :doh: Any pros and cons are much appreciated!

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Float Tube vs Pontoon vs Kayak

Post by angry john » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:58 am

They make very small yaks, down to 8' or so. They are very lite and will fit any roof top or in the back of a van or truck. I like having a vessle that will not get a hole and sink. There are some yaks that will sink but if there a sit on top style this should not be an issue. I use a nucanoe for this reason, it is inherently boyant. Second should be a good PFD class 2.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:12 pm

angry john wrote:They make very small yaks, down to 8' or so. They are very lite and will fit any roof top or in the back of a van or truck. I like having a vessle that will not get a hole and sink. There are some yaks that will sink but if there a sit on top style this should not be an issue. I use a nucanoe for this reason, it is inherently boyant. Second should be a good PFD class 2.
Thanks john, are yaks that are sit on top style stable enough to stand in as well? Do you have a link to the nucanoe you use? Thanks!

under cover
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by under cover » Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:53 pm

do a youtube search for NuCanoe Frontier 12 stability tests, they are for real ;) plus they have a transom for a TM...

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:30 pm

kayaks are really quiet and can you get you into really good spots that a lot of other floating devices cant get you to.
and a decent kayak isnt too expensive at all.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:27 pm

Has anyone used these Equinox Kayaks? Saw them at Costco for $300! :shock: http://www.equinoxkayaks.com/produits_124.html

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:39 pm

Well started with a float tube to get me off the shore line then various bass boats now a kayak I'd like to think I can kayak anywhere but the reality is there are times & places that a float tube is better that being said a friend of mine has a Sea-Eagle frameless pontoon boat he loves it and I kinda like it as well, is it a viable choice to cover both definitely NO but it is a good tool the kayaks get used the most and that will stay that way I'm sure at least for me and the way I fish at the places I like to go but I might add a Sea-Eagle FPB to my arsenal.

Fastfish

legendaryyaj
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by legendaryyaj » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:59 pm

After much contemplating I think I am going to settle with this:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product. ... Id=1314513

I debated over a yak over and over but just couldnt justify the cost. After all was said and done I was looking at 2g's and that just didn't seem worth it for me. I've come to accept that I am going to need multiple crafts and with 2g's I can get a Jon to fish the lakes I can actually put a jon in and I can use this pontoon to fish out of for the lakes with no ramp.

It doesn't need to be pumped and I dont have to worry about bladders busting due to over inflation so this seems to be a no brainer for me. Hobie use to make a Float Cat 75 that seemed nice too but that was years ago and I can not find one but this one looks awesome. No need for a rack or trailer so that saves more money and keeps me on the water. I tried a Sea Eagle Fold Cat years ago and that was the BIGGEST mistake I ever made. I've thought about this from EVERY angle so fat and this craft seems to be the most logical. This will only be for smaller waters as stated so it serves its purpose well without dishing out loads of cash.

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Thu May 09, 2013 5:25 am

Having fished all three, here are m takes:

Float tube - good for pond or lakes under 100 acres. Limited to amount of gear you can bring. Leg-power, so its gonna be a workout. Very simple and easy to use and transport. Limited on range due to leg power. Stability - well youre in the water already lol.. not overly comfortable for all day fishing, but u can quickly go to the bank and stretch if need be.

Toon - good for pond, rivers, or lakes. Depending on what u get, you can get quite a bit of stuff. Fully customizable to suit your need. Leg power, oars, or electric trolling motor can get you some decent range. Stability - not bad, youre half way in the water. Not to bad influence by wind due to fins. For comfort, you can upgrade the seats to anything u like. Transport maybe tricky unless you have a truck. They are somewhat kind of heavy after fully rigged so I may take two person to launch.

Yak - good for pond, river, or lakes. Depending in what, storage maybe limited but fully customizable. Oar, peddle, or motorized. Great on distance. Stability, I prefer sit on top yak and their fine as long as youre using good judgement, but not as safe as I feel on a toon. Comfort, usually the seat u get is what u get.. you can add cushion or padding but generally its okay. Transport is relatively easy depending on what you get up generally u can car top or throw in back on a pickup. Fairly easy to launch for a single person.

I've taken all three to berryessa to the delta. The float tube is my least favorite. I like it for small ponds only. The toon and yak are great on thr delta and lakes. Just find areas where there arent too many power boats. I usually take the toon cause I can stand and fish I. It but the yak give far better range. It depends on how I wanna fish that day.

zodiak311
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by zodiak311 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:01 am

thukidad wrote:Having fished all three, here are m takes:

Float tube - good for pond or lakes under 100 acres. Limited to amount of gear you can bring. Leg-power, so its gonna be a workout. Very simple and easy to use and transport. Limited on range due to leg power. Stability - well youre in the water already lol.. not overly comfortable for all day fishing, but u can quickly go to the bank and stretch if need be.

Toon - good for pond, rivers, or lakes. Depending on what u get, you can get quite a bit of stuff. Fully customizable to suit your need. Leg power, oars, or electric trolling motor can get you some decent range. Stability - not bad, youre half way in the water. Not to bad influence by wind due to fins. For comfort, you can upgrade the seats to anything u like. Transport maybe tricky unless you have a truck. They are somewhat kind of heavy after fully rigged so I may take two person to launch.

Yak - good for pond, river, or lakes. Depending in what, storage maybe limited but fully customizable. Oar, peddle, or motorized. Great on distance. Stability, I prefer sit on top yak and their fine as long as youre using good judgement, but not as safe as I feel on a toon. Comfort, usually the seat u get is what u get.. you can add cushion or padding but generally its okay. Transport is relatively easy depending on what you get up generally u can car top or throw in back on a pickup. Fairly easy to launch for a single person.

I've taken all three to berryessa to the delta. The float tube is my least favorite. I like it for small ponds only. The toon and yak are great on thr delta and lakes. Just find areas where there arent too many power boats. I usually take the toon cause I can stand and fish I. It but the yak give far better range. It depends on how I wanna fish that day.
Right on, thanks for the info! I still haven't settled on one yet. It is looking more and more like a Pontoon, or a Kayak. :)

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Thu May 09, 2013 7:25 am

Kayak for sure!

vinnieb729
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by vinnieb729 » Thu May 09, 2013 1:58 pm

I have a Fish Cat tube. I would consider a pontoon to be a better choice more often than not if I had to do it again. I ended up getting a tube for ease of use and portability.

I used to have an old round style tube where you sat low in the water...it was hard to maneuver and slow...but it was better than shore fishing all the time when I was younger. The first time I used this new style that keeps you sitting above the water and is V shaped it was amazing in comparison...and faster.

The one thing that makes the experience more enjoyable is a good set of fins! Forget about the $30-40 fins that are all to common, they will give you a work out and you go very slow. The two sets of fins to look at are Force Fins or the Omega Navigator Flip Fin. I have the Flip Fin and they are every bit as good as all the reviews say. (Never used Force Fins but they get equally good reviews). The speed difference is night and day with less effort. They run $175-200 a set...but can be had for less. Some people use fins in pontoons to control it while your hands are free to fish.

I settled on the tube because I can keep it inflated and in the back of my smaller suv and ready to go all summer. There are a couple small lakes I like to visit after work. I park, take out the tube, put on the fins grab 2 rods and away I go. Search the internet for various modifications to all three types and it's amazing to see all the different setups people rig up with pvc!

thukidad
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by thukidad » Thu May 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Fins are a must on toons... it will keep you more stationary in windy conditions.. plus u can sit in an area and thoroughly work an area with minimal effort on a toon with fins... if your gonna move use the oars..