Kayak for a River

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Kayak for a River

Post by daiwa lunatic » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:54 am

I'm looking to get a kayak soon, I'd prefer to get a hobie mirage outfitter tandem kayak, never have tried a kayak before, My question is how stable is a tandem kayak when there is just one person driving it? how strong is the mirage drive againt a river that has strong current underneath?

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Kayak for a River

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:20 pm

solo vs tandem has nothing to do with stability.

stability is mostly hull design/weight/length of the kayak. Obviously the wider the craft is the more stable. The longer the boat is also plays a part in stability (water displacement physics crap I cant explain).

I have never tried a Hobie so I cant comment. Purhaps someone else can give your an opinion.

For faster moving water I would prefer a paddle kayak vs pedal...this is why. You need a much more manouverable and nimble boat for fast water and rapids. 12' and under. I am also not sure the Hobies can turn fast enough to track you down a rapid correctly with just a handle controlled rudder....but I could be wrong. Take a look at river specific kayaks before you purchase a huge tandem for river specific fishing.

Jackson Coosa/Cuda12
Wilderness Systems Ride 115/Tarpon 120
Ocean Kayak Trident 11
Native Slayer 12

Hopefully someone with Hobie experience will chime in here shortly.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:04 am

As for Mirage drive in fast current. I prefer my Pro Angler below a dam in some of the fastest current that I fish in. Granted this is not rapids, just strong current with waves up to 1.5' where they come over the front of the bow, and gunnels at times. I feel I can better fish these areas with the Mirage Drive because I can face into the current and keep pedaling to hold good position. Where my friends without Mirage Drives try to get in position and by time they make their cast they are spun around heading down river. It is possible to find eddies and hang in them, but eddies are not redily available everywhere. I am not as nimble in the Pro Angler as my buddies are in their 12' 30" wide SOT's, but I am comforable, more dry, and not fumbling with a paddle. Now I wouldn't take a Mirage Drive kayak down rapids of anysort because they are not as manuverable, and the potential of damaging the masts of the fins and need to repair them on the spot is not a good idea when in rapids.
daiwa lunatic wrote: how strong is the mirage drive againt a river that has strong current underneath?
By this statement do you mean how stong are the masts? How much power can you get out of them? What do you mean by how strong?

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:51 pm

what I mean is the river the plan to fish is pretty wide and it is tidal, water goes in and out of the river mouth going to the ocean, I just want to be sure that when I fish I would be able to come back to the launching area even when there is a tide against it. In the picture this is the mouth of the river that I plan to fish, container boats goes thru it and a lots commercial fishing boat as well, theres also a lot of waves from big vessels that will hit you as they pass by.
Attachments
Garry'sPoint7-1.jpg
Garry'sPoint7-1.jpg (53.95 KiB) Viewed 5971 times

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:00 am

Oh I see. Hobie with the turbo fin upgrade should do the trick just fine if thats the route you want to go.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:10 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:Oh I see. Hobie with the turbo fin upgrade should do the trick just fine if thats the route you want to go.

Yep, should work just fine, and when coming back in and your arms are wore out from fighting the fish you wont be complaining about paddling. :D

daiwa lunatic
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by daiwa lunatic » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:27 pm

thanks so much guys! now I just need to hunt down a used hobbie as I prepare some room in my garage

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:33 pm

i know a few guys who use the jackson coosa for that.
nice yak though... and a price.