Kayak Length and Speed

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Kayak Length and Speed

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:24 pm

mcha16 wrote:well my buddy was using a white water kayak around 9ft,
and i was using my 11ft fishing yak, we went around the same speed...
so... im not really sure..
two different guys, two different yaks, the variables are way to numerous to be able to quantify the difference. It would have to be the same guy, in the same kayak with similar to width, but different length, and in the same conditions.
Your buddy could be a stronger/better paddler, your yak might be better suited for speed even though his is shorter.

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:32 pm

BucketHunter wrote:
mcha16 wrote:well my buddy was using a white water kayak around 9ft,
and i was using my 11ft fishing yak, we went around the same speed...
so... im not really sure..
two different guys, two different yaks, the variables are way to numerous to be able to quantify the difference. It would have to be the same guy, in the same kayak with similar to width, but different length, and in the same conditions.
Your buddy could be a stronger/better paddler, your yak might be better suited for speed even though his is shorter.
yeah you're right about that, but still... hes shorter than me, so... im not quite sure..

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 6:45 pm

My 55 yr old uncle is foot shorter than me, 100 lbs lighter and can bench 300lbs, 50 more than I can.
Height is pretty irrelevant, sometimes short guys can have quite a powerful stroke on explosive movements.

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:02 pm

BucketHunter wrote:My 55 yr old uncle is foot shorter than me, 100 lbs lighter and can bench 300lbs, 50 more than I can.
Height is pretty irrelevant, sometimes short guys can have quite a powerful stroke on explosive movements.
i guess it just depends on the person, not the yak! lol

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:09 pm

I have played hockey my whole life, and found these muscles transfer very well to the motion of pedalling a Hobie. Even though I carry and extra 50 lbs these days (gut not gear) I still outgun a lot of other guys on the pedal. I can throw a decent little wake up in that thing LOL.
Now stamina, that's a different story :lol: