Need a roof rack. Suggestions

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Need a roof rack. Suggestions

Post by Hogsticker2 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:18 am

My brother got himself a Mirage Pro Angler 12. He drives a 2002 Mitsubishi Galant. Looking for suggestions on a good roof rack for that Yak, and where to find it. Thanks

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Need a roof rack. Suggestions

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:28 am

Its going to be pretty difficult to put a PA on the roof of that car....that is one HEAVY ass boat. I use a Thule Aeroblade roof rack. Its extremely quiet and very easy to install.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

jslager
Angler
Angler

Post by jslager » Tue Aug 07, 2012 5:22 pm

Thule Hullavator

Not cheap but it will work and he will be thankful for it. Friend of mine used one to get his PA on top of his suburban

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:32 pm

What year is the car? At 120lb, it is definitely the heaviest boat by far (outside of the PA 14 and fully loaded torque) and although it won't be very easy....it is doable. Go to yakima and thule websites and fit your car using the provided fit guide. Thule are generally easier to install but I do like the round bars that yakima comes with. It has its advantages. The Hullavator is a great add on and works damn well but is not a rack system. Its a load assist contraption that greatly aids in kayak transport. Both brands offer great support, products, and cost about the same. Both rack systems also offer boat loaders which help one person trying to load a kayak and they are simple and work well. Ive owned and worked on just about every rack system there is to offer and am currently running a yakima system over my cab and a thule system in the bed.