best rods for fishing from a yak or canoe due to length!

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
JoseC
Angler
Angler

Re: best rods for fishing from a yak or canoe due to length!

Post by JoseC » Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:42 am

You should check out a hobie pro angler... you will never flip that thing.

They require some work to get to the water but once you are on the water its the best kayak out there.

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:24 pm

I still dont understand how you broke your rod. Keep your rod tip pointed towards the fish. If it moves hard to the left, change your seating position to side saddle. IF you need to decrease your drag a bit to give you some time to position your rod tip pointed in the right direction, you should not be breaking any rods.

Heronimo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Heronimo » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:44 am

I have a 14' scanoe and fish it with a 7' mh rod for pads and weeds. Never had an issue with the length of the rod, hard hooksets or fighting fish and I've caught some pike with this setup. I have a 3 year old boy who has since wanted to go out with me and I bought a pontoon stability kit for the canoe to help with tipiness. If you're concerned about stability, get one of those. Keeps the canoe from tilting when the boy is leaning over the side to play with the water, fish, pads, etc.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Wed Oct 03, 2012 9:08 am

I use rods from 6'3 up to 8' spinning and casting and have fly rods up to 9.5' that I use from the kayak. The 8' swimbait rods do get cumbersome, and storage for the 9.5' fly rods get difficult, but I wouldn't vary the size of rod due to watercraft I would choose the rod that best fits the application for what it will be used for.

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:51 pm

It has been a while since i have checked this, but have found that 6'6" rods are the sweet spot. I have a st croix medium and medium heavy that i keep on the yak with me. I have long arms so i can cast a mile with that length of rod, and i dont have any fighting issues with this rod. I have tried everything from my 7'3" flipping stick to a 6 foot jerk-bait rod. The yak i have is plenty stable, i did some testing during the summer when the water was warm and i could climb in over the side with out rolling it. Better training and more time on the water with the boy helps to!!!!

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:30 pm

I have a kayak and a boat. When I go in my kayak I usually use dobyns 6'8" rods and kistler 6'9" rods. The length seems more manageable than rods 7' and longer. Also, both those brands have shorter than average handle lengths. I found that some other brands with longer handles would dig into my side. The only time I bring longer rods is if I am using big swimbaits or plan on flipping and/or pitching a lot.
When I am fishing from my boat I bring almost all 7' and longer rods.