Dry top

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Dry top

Post by Katron » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm

I am super itchy to get my kayak in the water, however the temps have been 40deg max lately (amazing for Wisconsin Feb). The water I assume is much colder than this and therefore I am concerned about my safety if I were to take a dip. At the moment I do not have the cash for a full dry suit so I was thinking of combining a dry top and waders. Most if not all of my fishing will be quite close to shore (less than 200ft wide river) so paddling back to shore would not be lengthily. The dry top I am considering is a Level Six Duke. What advice, tips, and tricks do you guys have?

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dry top

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:11 am

I have a Hobie Dry Top, but have never wore it. I don't have a dry suit either.

I usually have a base layer of fleece, wool socks with a pair of seal skin socks over them. I wear a pair of waterproof pants also with a few layers on the top, but try not to over dress. I like to keep mobil, and comfortable. I always wear a PFD sometimes an inflatable, sometimes just a regular PFD. I pack a dry bag with a complete change of clothes, and towels. I've been out at nights on the river when it was in the mid to low 20's, and regularly fish when the temps are in the 40's with no issues. I do have and have used neoprene waders also. I would say to dress in layers, stay away from cotton, keep an extra set of clothes in a dry bag with food, and drinking water. Preferrably have a friend go with you or let several people know where you are going what time you will be on the water and what time you are leaving the water.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Dry top

Post by alex09 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:53 am

Jim Sammons has a video about this topic that you might be interested in:
http://www.worldfishingnetwork.com/vide ... 71671.aspx