Rod leashes

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Rod leashes

Post by Katron » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:09 am

After thinking about what combos I am going to be putting together this winter and the money I am putting into them, I would think a rod leash would be a good idea. What rod leashes have you guys found to be unobtrusive and convenient?

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Re: Rod leashes

Post by wolfewiz » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:24 am

I have some Hobie rod leashes and they are great. You can easily make your own for far less.

http://palmettokayakfishing.blogspot.co ... =rod+leash

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:23 am

Yes, extremely easy to make yourself. I did buy a couple when I first started. I got them on ebay for REAL cheap! Funny thing is, I've never even brought them with me to the water before.

Now to go off on a tangent, I see no need unless fishing in some crazy ocean scenerios where a flip would actually be almost possible. After thoroughly testing my kayaks, I've concluded that they will pretty much never flip over, unless I intentionally pull it over myself. Otherwise, I may fall in, but the kayak stays upright. This is just my flawed outlook though :lol: I've actually flipped the my pescador 12 over one time on accident when I JUMPED in the river while fighting a fish to grab it (about 5 feet deep in some snags, I dove under to grab the flathead by its tail). I guess jumping from the kayak makes for a little more rotational "flipping" force. That said, I have jumped many times from my WS Ride 115 into the river to grab some huge smallmouth and never even come close to flipping it :big grin: Btw, jumping from kayaks is an unusual event and I've never seen anyone do it. I only do it to add a little drama to my fishing experiences and make them more exciting b/c I get bored easily :roll:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Never used one yet,but if I did I would make my own..sometimes do tie on a paddle leash tho,if in a tricky river..man I aint tryin to be up any creek,without my paddle :P
And Ryan,you're a wild dude..lol would love to yak fish with ya sometime.I have never flipped one yet,but I sure as hell aint trying to stand on mine,let alone swan dive off of em and such.lmao I dont know your physical size,but Im about 6'4" ,290,and I know it wouldn't go well for me..and no,not a fat azz lol,just a good eatin ,hay bale throwin kinda build..shoot,I remember one time had a roughly 10 lb. channel cat hit an x-rap while I was after smallie..almost got flipped in the process of that commotion,using a med. light rig w/ 6 lb black widow...for the first few minutes I swore I had the king of all bronzebacks [-o< ah well....I do certainly think one's physical size has alot to do with the ease in capsizing such a craft tho..

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:51 pm

I just got a pair of nice leashes from ack. (http://www.austinkayak.com/products/169 ... Leash.html)

I dont plan on using them unless its ridiculously windy or something because Im fairly confident that I wont flip under normal circumstances.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

wolfewiz
Angler
Angler

Post by wolfewiz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:16 pm

I have a pro angler and use the rod tubes in addition to the flush mount rod holders for easier access. If they are not in the rod tubes or in my hand they have a leash on them. Lots of crap can happen even in easy waters....just ask anyone who has donated some $400 combos to the drink. :mrgreen:

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:52 pm

wolfewiz wrote:I have a pro angler and use the rod tubes in addition to the flush mount rod holders for easier access. If they are not in the rod tubes or in my hand they have a leash on them. Lots of crap can happen even in easy waters....just ask anyone who has donated some $400 combos to the drink. :mrgreen:
I definitely hear that...but,that is why I wouldn't take one of my high dollar combos anywhere near my yak in the first place...I like to save the nice stuff for fishin from a big boat or the shore..I just find it too obtrusive,fishing with a leash on.And if I should ever lose a rod while yakin',it will put me out no more than eh,100 bucks or so..

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:31 pm

wolfewiz wrote:I have a pro angler and use the rod tubes in addition to the flush mount rod holders for easier access. If they are not in the rod tubes or in my hand they have a leash on them. Lots of crap can happen even in easy waters....just ask anyone who has donated some $400 combos to the drink. :mrgreen:
Believe it or not, maybe it's b/c I've been around boats longer than kayaks, but I've heard MANY more "rod overboard" stories that have happened from boats than kayaks. Now common sense does say that ,yes, losing a combo from a kayak is more probable, but I just think it's funny. After watching a guy turtle, it was all fun and games until we're chasing tackle down the river and trying to find rod combos on the river bottom with our legs :lol:

Btw, the combos I bring usually cost more than my kayak... each! That's why they are transported "in car," and the kayaks are transported and kept outside :big grin: My confidence in not losing a rod combo is in my neglect for using sunscreen!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Chewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Chewy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:02 pm

I purchased a three pack for about $15 on that auction site. They're convenient, but after seeing them, I suggest making your own with shock cord (that can be purchased per foot at Sport Chalet etc...), zip ties, and cheap clips.

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:13 pm

I used them the first two times I was out on the water. By the third trip, I removed them and eventually lost them. I don't miss it one bit. They were annoying and got in the way. The only times I fall from the yak is during surf launches. During those times, the rods are stored in my kayak's rod locker.

DarrenM
Angler
Angler

Post by DarrenM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Katron wrote:After thinking about what combos I am going to be putting together this winter and the money I am putting into them, I would think a rod leash would be a good idea. What rod leashes have you guys found to be unobtrusive and convenient?
Don't use them, but probably should... I've got a few hundred in Stradics, Compres and such that I'd hate to lose. I do have my gear in rod holders and all that's strapped down.

Buddy lost one of his to the drink when he inadvertently bumped a hornets nest in an overhang and rapidly dove overboard. :crying:

Not a kayak bass fishing adventure I'd like to have. All that said, I feel "safe enough" for now. 8-[
Native Ultimate 12 Yak fisherman | Shimano junkie

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:21 am

I don't use rod leashes due to entanglement problems if you do happen to do over. I see them as a safety issue. I recommend using rod floats, I myself don't use anything because I never have over $2000 of combos on the kayak at one time. I've never flipped a kayak I've fallen off and I grabbed the kayak in the heat of the moment while going over and dumped everything out of it, but only had about $900 in combos, and $200 in lures with me at the time. I've lost one combo in the water it was a Stradic 2500 on a Falcon rod an over hanging tree took it from the flushmount behind the seat and let it go in a swift river.
I don't have the luxury of buying cheap combos for the kayak, and expensive combos for a boat that I don't have. I like to fish with good equipment, not the most expensive, but middle of the line. I would highly suggest you look into rod floats for your safety.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:43 am

If your fishing from a Kayak, a rod leash is a MUST HAVE!

Mine came already pre installed on my cratemate and i added velcro ones to the rod holder extenders I have. its well worth it especially if you have some expensive items like i do with you. Just unclip the rod when you are using it, and when youa re done, clip them back securely. Trust me, its well worth it!
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:56 pm

MidTN-
I like your idea of floats...far better idea than an actual leash,which is not only a pain in the rear while actually fishing,but as you pointed out,can also be a potential hazard in a situation...
But! Man,if you can say " I myself don't use anything because I never have over $2000 of combos on the kayak at one time",seeming to mean that only a couple G's worth of rods/reels isn't too big a deal,certainly you could buy a Cabelas magtouch or prodigy and a pflueger president on sale(or something comparable),spend around a hundred on it all,and feel alot less stress knowing that if you DO have a situation,your high dollar rig isnt lost and gone.. :?:

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:16 am

If you can pry my Shimano Stradics, CI4's, Curado 200E's, and 300E's out of my hands or give me a better quality piece of equipment for a cheaper price I'd jump on it, but that would be after I wear my Shimano's out. I would rather buy a $200 reel and have it last for 3 years, then upgrage the drag washers, and bearings and have it last another 10 years then buy a $75 reel use it for 1 or 2 years and throw it away.

As for rods I haven't found anything I really like, my favorites are the Falcon Buccos at the moment, but I'm always looking. My wife throws G. Loomis, and Shimano Compres, and I like her Compre's and I might try a few myself.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member