kayak fisherman question

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

kayak fisherman question

Post by dcorp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:56 am

For those of you who fish from kayaks, how many rods do you usually bring with you when bass fishing? I fish out of a Wilderness systems Pungo which is a sit inside. It is great but doesnt have a ton of storage so I usually bring 3 rods with me. I would like to bring 5-6 so I am thinking of adding a couple pvc tubes behind my seat for additional rod storage.

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: kayak fisherman question

Post by dcorp » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:59 am

My bad, I just saw that there is a kayak fishing section...

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:07 pm

I was only bringing 2-3 with lots of tackle boxes.....this year i am bringing 4-5 with one box.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:23 pm

Depending on what kind of fishing I'm doing or where I'm going, I "dress for the occasion." I usually bring only 2 or 3 rods, sometimes only 1, but sometimes upwards of 5. If I need more, I could fit more, but I usually find myself using only 1 to 2 rods, even if I bring 6 :doh:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:21 am

3 rigs maximum, 2 small tackle bags. I went on a minimalist kick a couple of years back, only carry what works for me. I hate clutter, especially when space is at a premium.

d3bf48
Angler
Angler

Post by d3bf48 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 7:07 am

If I was fishing big, open lakes then maybe I would consider 3-4 rods, but I usually fish rivers and end up going under overhanging trees, running rapids, and jumping in and out a lot. Having a bunch of rods sticking out everywhere is just an accident waiting to happen, not to mention if I flip they are all gone (unless you have rod leashes, but that's just more clutter). I guess it's just my style of fishing, but I enjoy taking a simple approach when kayaking: a rod or two, and what ever tackle fits in my milk crate. Some of my best days have been when I went out with 1 rod, a spinnerbait, topwater, crankbait, and a pair of pliers.

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:51 am

I never take more than two,and one is firmly secured to my craft as a just in case back up...but,I use the yak for river fishing almost exclusively,and cant afford the nuisance and danger of having rods hanging everywhere when I'm trying to negotiate some rapids..I would certainly feel more comfortable packing more out on a lake,but I guess I still dont see the need..

dcorp
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dcorp » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:03 am

You guys make a good point, 5-6 rods would be a bit crowded. I just have too much stuff i think. I have lots of rods and reels i never use so i was trying to bring more with me. I usually plan out the day before hand and bring the 3 rods i think I will be most likely to use.

Chewy
Angler
Angler

Post by Chewy » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:06 pm

For bass fishing, I bring 3. There's space for more, but I find that I only use/look at 20% of the things I bring with me. Minimalist is the way to go on the yak :D

my $.02

cst
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cst » Tue Jan 31, 2012 1:15 pm

Three is the perfect amount. I'd probably bring a DX701 as a spinning rod, a DX702c as a light baitcaster and a 703 for all around use.

Depending on your situation you can bump all those rods up a power to suit your lake's needs.

DarrenM
Angler
Angler

Post by DarrenM » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:27 pm

Chewy wrote:For bass fishing, I bring 3. There's space for more, but I find that I only use/look at 20% of the things I bring with me. Minimalist is the way to go on the yak :D
Agree with the minimalist approach. I've been known to bring 5 rods, but the norm is 4. Preference is 2, that way I never accidentally hook one behind me when casting a baitcaster and get the show-stopping backlash.

My Dad always taught me when traveling to take twice as much cash and half as much clothing as I thought I'd need. The principle is probably true with kayak fishing. Twice as many worm colors, half the rods. Or however you want to slice it.
Native Ultimate 12 Yak fisherman | Shimano junkie

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:07 am

How many rods I bring depend on what kayak I'm fishing from, and what determines what kayak I'm fishing from is the water I'm fishing wether it be a big river, small river, lake, pond, or the ocean. For larger lakes I have 6-8 rods because I encounter many different situations and different applicatios, where in a small river I will probably just bring 3 outfits.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:27 am

It really depends on how much room you have to play with you your kayak, and of course how sturdy it is with everything you want to bring. From my experiences in the past, I bring 4 rods with me, all pre-lines already with the lure I want to use for that set up. I used to bring a lot of tackle, but the past 2 years or so i've been bringing ONLY what I plan on using that day. For example, I have a small deps tackle box roughly 10" long, 3" deep and 6" wide.. and i just throw a bunch of jigs/cranks and do on in that box. I then bring a small speed bag with the worms I plan on using and so on. The key is to bring as least amount of stuff as possible, pending the size of your kayak of course.

I fish out of a Hobie Mirage Sport Fisheman. It's too small for me right now and i do plan on upgrading to something larger in the future.
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

angry john
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by angry john » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:18 pm

i guess everyones idea of of the bare minimum is very diffrent. I on most trips bring one maybe two rods but only use one. On the river i used my ugly stick lite which was recently upgraded to a fenwick small mouth. I make compromises, as its not a very good worm rod, ok for cranks and best at small jigs. i have one tackle bag, but i find that i have a few confidence lures that i stick with. It seems as though it is some type of comp. to see who can have the most expensive gear. everyone has there way

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:32 pm

angry john wrote: It seems as though it is some type of comp. to see who can have the most expensive gear.
If this is true, then Jerry wins hands down!! :lol:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org