kayak?

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
smallmouth420
Angler
Angler

kayak?

Post by smallmouth420 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:27 am

im looking for a kayak that i would be able to stand in and it would be somewhat stable. i like to flip and pitch in some occasions if possible. i already have pretty good balance having fished out of a canoe for several years in smaller bodies of water.id like to spend under 500 but i dont need a new rig. id be willing to shop around for something used. thanks for any response.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: kayak?

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:23 pm

While there are a bunch of decent kayaks for under that price, you would have a pretty hard time finding one you can stand and fish in for under $500. You can get the Wilderness Ride 115 for around $850...
stress-what happens between fishing trips

alex09
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by alex09 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:27 pm

I'm using an Ocean Kayak Scrambler. It doesn't have the blings but good enough for fishing. It you plan on standing up, you can on the Scrambler XT. At 12feet and 29" beam, you can stand up while fishing (depending on how heavy you are or how good are you with balancing :) ). It's being sold bnew at $509:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... _sku=18459

If you want a more stable kayak, a used Malibu Mini-X or a used Cobra Fish N Dive would fit your budget. These are pretty stable yaks that you can stand on while fishing.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:40 pm

I HIGHLY recommend a Wilderness Systems Ride 115. Not only can you comfortably stand an fish out of them, but I regularly do 180º jumps with fish on to keep the fish in front of me... mostly just b/c I can :big grin: Extremely stable boats, yet pretty fast and track very well for its length. They are a little more than your $500 budget, but your kayak should be priority in fishing b/c it's the difference of you having an enjoyable time on the water or just making do and fishing through it. Fishing should be pleasureable! So if you saved up for it, it would be WELL worth it ;)

That's just standing and stability. There's a ton other benefits/features to the 115 that more affordable yaks won't have. For example, my 115's have MUCH more room, laterally and for my legs, than my longer Perception Pescador 12.0 (which is also a great boat by the way, especially for the money, but you are not likely to stand and fish from it comfortably). It really makes no sense how comfortable the shorter 115 is!

On the other hand, if standing and fishing at the same time (which requires concentrating on fishing, not concentrating on staying in the boat :lol: ) is not a really big deal to you and you just want something to get you out on the water comfortably, then the perception pescador 12 is an awesome kayak. I picked mine up at Dicks for $500 about a year ago. It is based on the legendary hull of the older 2008 WS Tarpon 120. Fast, stable, versatile.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

bkoumoua
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by bkoumoua » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:52 pm

I own a jackson kayak coosa and it an amazing kayak. it is also made for you to be able to stand on. alto it is going to run double of what you want to pay. it sell for 1099 for a new one and any where from 600 to 850 for a use one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-1nq7m97lo

Scott F
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scott F » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:12 am

It's really too bad you don't have enough money to pay for the right boat. The Jackson Coosa was designed as a fishing kayak and made to stand on. It really is the ultimate fishing kayak. You won't be happy after spending a lot less and having to settle for something that doesn't work as well.

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:45 pm

This is by far the most asked question at the shop and the answer has been the same for the last few years....
In this order:
1. Hobie Pro Angler - the MOST stable kayak but expensive
2. WS Ride 135 - Double hull design, very wide and stable
3. WS Ride 115 - Little brother to the 135. Lighter and easier to maneuver but doesn't track quite as well
4. OK Big Game - 34" width makes it one of the widest stock boats out there.
5. Malibu X-Factor/Stealth 14. Both are wide. Both are outfitted quite well. X-Factor also has a 600+lb weight capacity rating.

$500 might be a little too low to find these kayaks even used. If you search you can find some in the 6=700 on occasion or you could stumble on a very old model Ride 135. If you have any in depth questions, feel free to PM me for a better detailed answer. Good luck.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
713-660-7000
MiniVan

Pepi
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Pepi » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:32 pm

It's going to be hard to find a kayak that you can stand for $500. If you could spend a little more you could definitely get into something nice used I personally have a Diablo Adios. It's probably the most stable kayak out there at 36 inches wide. They are just a bit more than what you want to spend. Good luck! :D

flywatersmallie
Angler
Angler

Post by flywatersmallie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:00 pm

I have a WS Tarpon 100 (31" wide) as my main river smallie boat. I can and do stand in it. Then again, it took some time before I could do it comfortably and I rigged it to make it easier to get up right. They are also a bit out of your price range at about $700, I am not sure on the Pescador 10 as its an older Tarpon hull design but I have no idea if the stability will be similar.
Get Bit Baits Pro Staff

MiniVan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MiniVan » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:26 am

You can find old 1st generation WS Rides for about $500.
Austin Canoe & Kayak
713-660-7000
MiniVan

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:36 pm

future beach 126,
just stand on the seat.
only cost $350.