Reccomendations for first Kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Stephan Bohm
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Reccomendations for first Kayak

Post by Stephan Bohm » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:40 pm

Now that winter has set in and the lakes won't thaw untill May, I'm considering investing in a Yak for next fishing season. Though my old Alumacraft canoe served me well it sucked to fish out of solo and I would like to have an alternative for fishing alone. I was looking at the Hobie mirage drive outback, which seemed like the ideal boat, but the price might be unrealistc for a college student working part time. Any reccomendations on cheaper boats? I would like to be able to stand and portage at least short distances.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Reccomendations for first Kayak

Post by 518bassin » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:15 pm

I have been looking at the re-designed Wilderness Systems 115 and 135. The 115 is smaller but I have watched videos on YouTube of guys standing up on them. I would suggest looking at Kayak Bass Fishing website or youtube channel you can gain a lot of insight. I am looking at kayaks also and I am a bigger guy so I want one with a higher payload weight so I am probably gonna go with a Ride 135.

tonyex
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by tonyex » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:59 am

Take a look at freedom hawk kayaks http://www.freedomhawkkayaks.com/ . I have one and I like it. Reg /T
Live 2 fish <>< , forced 2 work.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:29 am

Ocean Kayak T11 or T13 would be my suggestion. They're about half the price of a hobie mirage drive and imo are the best fishing yaks out there. I bought my first T13 for $350 but I got it on closeout from OK's factory in Blain Washington when it was shutting down. But it's pretty easy to find them in the $800 range.

Storage is unparalleled (rod pod is the greatest thing ever), they have a built in place for a fish finder and humminbird makes transducers designed specifically for their scrupper holes. Easy to work and add extra flush mount/rod holders. All around amazing fishing kayak.

I've had mine 5 miles off shore and in tiny little ponds works great everywhere. The 13 tracks a lot better than the 11 but that's the way of things. Weight isn't bad either the 13 comes in around 56lbs off the shelf and is pretty easy to pack short distances.
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!

Marshall6
Angler
Angler

Post by Marshall6 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:59 am

If your looking for a fishing yak you should check out Jackson Kayak cossa model lots of opp.

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:39 pm

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/store ... =581132415

Essentially a older model Wilderness Tarpon 120. I have the Tarpon 120 Ultralite and it has the same hull design of the Perception Sport. Its very nice, I think it will meet and excel your needs, especially for the price.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

CALL ME RIFLE
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by CALL ME RIFLE » Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:58 pm

I currently run a couple of Mad River Synergy 12 hybrid yaks,and a Perception Sport Destiny (same basic model,made after Perception took over Mad River)...bought em for two reasons-One,I LOVE the slightly deeper set,the higher gunwale;allows me to use my boats effectively in up to class 3 rapids without too much water entering.It doesn't have scupper holes,which is another thing I like,as I dont like constant flow of water in and out of my boat.Just keep a small microfiber towel or sponge handy,dont ever need more than that to bail it.The deeper design of the Yak also holds more gear than your average "flat" SOT,making it a better boat for longer outings,camping and such.Reason 2,I got them on clearance for roughly half retail price. 8-) I am thinking about getting another yak come spring,(I know ,how many does one guy need,but I keep so many as I have friends who like to go,but cant really afford their own yet)..and I am most likely going to grab a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12.I dont believe there is a better hybrid out there,and would have bought a couple of those intitally if I could have gotten a good price play on 'em..still,for about 1K you can get a nice new one,all rigged and ready...alot cheaper than a Hobie,and IMo every bit as good of a boat...

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:58 pm

Sorry, I'm lazy. Copied and pasted from a post I just wrote minutes ago..
l2yan wrote:I HIGHLY recommend a Wilderness Systems Ride 115. Not only can you comfortably stand an fish out of them, but I regularly do 180º jumps with fish on to keep the fish in front of me... mostly just b/c I can :big grin: Extremely stable boats, yet pretty fast and track very well for its length. They are a little more than your $500 budget, but your kayak should be priority in fishing b/c it's the difference of you having an enjoyable time on the water or just making do and fishing through it. Fishing should be pleasureable! So if you saved up for it, it would be WELL worth it ;)

That's just standing and stability. There's a ton other benefits/features to the 115 that more affordable yaks won't have. For example, my 115's have MUCH more room, laterally and for my legs, than my longer Perception Pescador 12.0 (which is also a great boat by the way, especially for the money, but you are not likely to stand and fish from it comfortably). It really makes no sense how comfortable the shorter 115 is!

On the other hand, if standing and fishing at the same time (which requires concentrating on fishing, not concentrating on staying in the boat :lol: ) is not a really big deal to you and you just want something to get you out on the water comfortably, then the perception pescador 12 is an awesome kayak. I picked mine up at Dicks for $500 about a year ago. It is based on the legendary hull of the older 2008 WS Tarpon 120. Fast, stable, versatile.
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:48 am

Hobie Mirage... spend more time fishing, less time on the paddles..
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:08 am

I love the Hobie Mirage Drive kayaks, I have a Pro Angler, and Revolution 13. I understand the broke college kid and not able to afford one (I was there for a few years). I just wish I had known about kayaks then.

What kind of waters will you be fishing big rivers, small rivers, ocean, and bays, farm ponds, small lakes, or big lakes? You should take that into consideration, and that's why I have several different kayaks so I can use the right tool for the job.

There are a lot of affordable kayaks out there and don't be afraid with going used if you have to just be sure to thourally inspect it for cracks, holes, warping, or bleaching. Wilderness Systems, Ocean Kayak, Perception, and Jackson make good boats also, but if you narrow down what you need in a kayak that will help you determine what kind of kayak you will need. There are also SINK (Sit Inside) kayaks, but I myself prefer SOT (Sit On Tops).

Take your time and be patient, know what you want, and when you get a chance to try one out take full advantage of it.

Jeremy
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:07 am

I am pretty enthusiastic about Wavewalk kayaks...

http://www.wavewalk.com

No pedals, but also no need for a rudder. Way more stable than any kayak and many jon boats...also very ergonomic. No yak back. Enormous amounts of storage space. Can handle both electric motors and outboards up to 2HP. All kinds of rigging options to tweak to your content. Super nice guy up in New England builds them...he has a pretty dedicated following for people that do try them out. Not enough nice things to say about them.

And you don't get wet!