Jigs from a kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Jigs from a kayak

Post by Katron » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:26 am

I am a very avid jig fisherman and was wondering if any of you could tell me how hard pitching a jig is from a kayak. I am not thinking that it would be the easiest thing in the world but I am up to a challenge. I am thinking of getting myself a fishing kayak for the small rivers and larger streams around me here in Wisconsin and considering my target fish is going to be smallmouth I would think a jig will be tied on 90% of the time.

Kaleb
Previously "theflyingplatypus".

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Jigs from a kayak

Post by WoodT » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:49 pm

I dont know....depends on how quiet you wanna be. I use a wavewalk, so i can stand up easily, but im still 4 inches shorter than the waterline. It's not a boat deck.

But a Gitzit doesnt make much of a splash flicked out at water level on some light spinning gear. :strface:

Definitely enjoying yak-smallie fishing right now. Lame day, no fish for hours then just little guys. Then had a 2 pounder smash a tiny white Rebel popper and a short UL rig... \:D/

Makes up for a bad day.

***edited to say this was Mississppi river, Minneapolis.

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:45 am

Pitching jigs is not a problem at all! Definitely a different animal than from a boat deck, but not a problem. Neither is skipping ;)

Also, if you get a pretty stable kayak, you can stand in it and pitch very easily as WoodT said.

Go for it!!! Just be warned that kayak fishing is extremely addictive :big grin:
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 5:47 pm

use a short rod 5' to 6'
stress-what happens between fishing trips

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Daniel - your reason for such a short length?

Kaleb

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:24 pm

shorter rods are much, much more accurate....and i find it easier to flip backhanded with a shorter handle which is standard on short stubby rods.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by l2yan » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:36 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:shorter rods are much, much more accurate....and i find it easier to flip backhanded with a shorter handle which is standard on short stubby rods.
I strongly agree ;)
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

Katron
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Katron » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:26 pm

The problem with short rods from my experience is line pickup on the hookset. You have to put more energy into your hookset because you are pulling less line through the rod, hence increasing your chances of a flip or break off. A sweep hookset with a longer rod I have found to be the best route for jig and t-rig fishing. Even though I have my opinions on this topic I would still like to hear your added input ;).

Kaleb

WoodT
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by WoodT » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Sorry for delayed response, this is a good topic.

I think your rod selection has to change a lot if you're trying to fish out of a kayak. You're not two feet above things as you might be from a bass boat. So eight foot rods for pitching...if we are talking pitching as the traditional concept...man, it's hard to work a rod that long off of a kayak, to tip down and forward. At least in my experience. I kind of had to get away from the party line on a lot of things relative to kayaks because it's written assuming i am eight feet tall. :laugh1:

I use a 6'8" Core/Cumara set up for primary pitching stuff. And that's a bit too long, too...seems like i have the most fun pitching with a 5'6" pistol grip junker from Gander, so may upgrade that set up (daniel...:whistle: ) over winter.

I take a range of rods on the yak. May make my legend elite m 6 ft my primary jerkbait rod next year, just because stuff is easier to work that length close to the waterline as i am standing in the wavewalk. But its a yak...you can sneak up on 'em better than boats. And if worst comes to worse, throw on the great casting distance equalizer...a DC100! :big grin: lighter-powered rods, lighter lines...all different for me.