First fishing kayak

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: First fishing kayak

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:15 am

Fastfish wrote:I've got a Hobie Outback its a great fishing yak I've had a ton of fun fishing out of it so I will say get a Outback find someone who'll do a lay-away with ya, my wife has a Revolution she does really well with it as well.

Fastfish
I have to agree with you Fastfish. We used to have 2 Pro Anglers, now we are down to 1 Revolution 13, and one Pro Angler on the Hobie side. Hobie makes a great product.

Jeremy
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

FoldCat
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FoldCat » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:51 am

Now that I've fished from my Riot Angler, I am starting to long for something I can stand up in. It may still be early, but these old bones are telling me that I should NOT be sitting so long, I kind of miss the freedom of the canoe type seating...

That being said, the KC kayak w/hi-lo seating and standing ability looks nice, or maybe a Ride 135, I just question the manageability and/or capacity to handle serious water, i.e. not flat water...

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:26 am

I actually dont mind sitting a long time. I also have a $200 seat upgrade in mine...

I see the benefits of standing and fishing but Id rather not paddle a 70lb tank in the water either.
stress-what happens between fishing trips

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:06 am

For (SERIOUS) water fishing and needing to stand up when able to I would lean toward the Jackson Coosa, or the Ride 115. The Coosa's seating is a little more rearward so you can turn quicker to navigate rapids easier. I don't recommend someone not familiar with rapids thinking this is a whitewater boat, but it can easily handle class II's and small class III's. It has done larger class III's but only with experienced paddlers. The Coosa does have a more comfortable seat and the ability to place it in the high or low position where I would suggest the low when in rougher water for better stability. The hull, and the seat of the Coosa sit higher out of the water causing it to catch wind more and spin easily.

The Ride 115 offers a stable platform with a seat that is able to slide forward for better tracking for larger flat water, or you can move it rearward for easier turning for navigating fast water. When in and area where you can stand you can move the seat rearward and have a larger/flatter platform than the Coosa. The ride offers a canted hatch above the seat where you can easily store rods and remove them and place them back in while sitting. So if you see some fast water coming up you can store your rods quickly.

By serious water you do mean fast swift rivers right?

Jeremy
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Thu May 24, 2012 2:04 pm

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:You'll be fine just keep your space, and if you drop an anchor on one just pull the anchor and slowly paddle away.
This is my biggest fear and why I've hesitated on getting a Yak for the past three years. Have had plenty of Gators tracking my while fishing canals from the bank. I doubt they want to eat me but probably learned to associate dinner with what may end up at the end of my line. Being on the Yak gets me ever so closer to them.

I understand keeping my distance but what if they don't agree? Swat of the paddle gona make them retreat? Hate to have to carry a fire arm strapped and loaded to my chest. Lol

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 am

As many people fish and paddle in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Lousiana and where there are large populations of gators your odds are pretty good you won’t be a statistic.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

GARRIGA
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by GARRIGA » Sun May 27, 2012 2:31 pm

MidTNKayakAngler wrote:As many people fish and paddle in Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, Lousiana and where there are large populations of gators your odds are pretty good you won’t be a statistic.
Putting aside statistics, what is the most effective method of warding off an overly curious gator? I've had them get pretty close from shore and do see how that would change once I'm on the water floating on a chunk of plastic. I don't buy the" they are more afraid of me" and prefer to be prepared even if it's never needed. Perhaps certain color yaks are better? Perhaps certain areas should be avoided? Perhaps certain times of year are more risky? I've been told mating season is not a good time to be I'm their vicinity.

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon May 28, 2012 11:49 am

I would think the best way to keep from being a statistic is avoid green or brown kayaks. Go with yellow or something bright, avoid carrying around raw chicken, don't use a stringer and drag dead fish around. If you see gators keep your distance, and are sure not to put yourself between a mother and her young. If you happen get attacked hopefully it's a small gator and you can escape. From what I have found if you are getting to close they will let you know and give you time to get the distance needed to feel comfortable.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

mcha16
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mcha16 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:42 pm

my first kayak was a future beach 126,
its a really great yak for what it does.
i'm able to stand on it (only if you stand on the seat).
its really stable.
i think its a great kayak to start off with, and itll last a long while.

hotdogin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by hotdogin » Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:27 am

Congratulations! I don't always have a chance to take mine out, but when I'm really itching to go fishing it's nice to be able strap it to the car and go! I actually need to put some rigging on mine so I can keep my cooler up front. Always have some cold brews with me when I'm out there.