Light Pole Positioning

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
gregory2327
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Light Pole Positioning

Post by gregory2327 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 7:11 am

I need to install a light pole on my Prowler 13 (non-trident). Where might be a good position where I won't get wrapped up in it while casting, etc. All ideas are welcome, especially form those who have/had a Prowler.

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Light Pole Positioning

Post by MondayMonkey » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:55 pm

You gonna have the pole up at all times? Do you run with a milk crate in the back or a box in the section directly behind the seat? What kind of light pole, scotty mount? The pink circles are where the angler flush mount rod holders go they are great spots. On my T13 there is room for a scotty mount where the green circle is. I'm assuming your prowler is similar to the one in the picture.

I have a dry box that fits on that front section of the rear. The dry box has 3 rod holder tubes on it and they're always full I never have any issues casting with them occupied. I only run a light/flag in the ocean and when I do it just sits in the middle rod holder on my dry box.
Attachments
rod.jpg
rod.jpg (50.59 KiB) Viewed 3810 times
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!

gregory2327
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by gregory2327 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:10 am

Wow - thanks, for the response! My Prowler is exactly like the one in the picture. I could go for the center mount (green circle) as I will need the light quite a bit as I fish salt water pretty frequently these days though I really like the sound of using one of the rod holders on the dry box. Is the dry box set up for this with a built in place to put the battery> If not, how did you wire yours? Do you have a link to the dry box you use?

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:24 am

This is the dry box I use. It fits in that space behind the seat like it was made just for it. I've found it's more splash proof than water proof. If you huli in the surf and right the yak quick it stays dry but if it takes you a little time you'll find a tiny bit of water inside it. But they're cheap my local Fred Meyer sells them for $15 I have one for salt and one for fresh.

http://www.amazon.com/Plano-Deep-Dry-St ... B001ECQPO8

These are the rod tubes I used. I drilled and bolted them to the back of the box and of course marine gooped the bolts to seal the holes.

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/ser ... Kit/Detail

My battery box I just for use my fish finder. It doesn't connect to my light/flag as my setup has an internal battery most kayak lights have a enclosed system.
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!