Rigging upgrades and tips

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Rigging upgrades and tips

Post by uljersey » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:35 am

I'll throw a few out there that I've done, let's hear yours. I like doing things on the cheap (not cheesy !)

EVA foam mats...http://origin-images.ttnet.net/pi/eto/1 ... 00-37t.gif

They can be found at Lowe's, Depot, etc. There are a few uses for these. My stock Perception seat was a little thin in the seat pad. I traced the outline of the seat bottom onto one of these mats and used a utility knife to cut it out. I then used silicone caulk to glue it to the seat bottom. It doubled the thickness with barely any weight added.

Use the leftover foam and cut a rectangular section. Glue it to an area that will be within reach while fishing. Use it to store jigs, hooks, baits, etc. Stick the hook into the foam, you can pull them out when needed without difficulty, even if the barb is all of the way in. The hole left behind pretty much closes up. You can easily get a season's use out of it. This let's you keep the tackle bag stashed for most of the trip and keeps noise to a minimum.

Here's a link for an anchor trolley system. Again, you can get the items needed at most hardware/ home centers or the kits can be bought online.....http://www.coloradokayakfishing.com/art ... nchor.html

Last, here's an anchor rigging trick I wished I knew about last season when my anchor got snagged in a submerged tree. I had to cut the line and lost the anchor :evil: http://www.westcreekkayakandcanoe.com/i ... IGGING.jpg Notice on the picture the anchor line is attached to the BOTTOM of the anchor. The line is run parallel to the shank and secured to the upper eyelet with a zip tie. The anchor is used normally. In the event of a snag, pulling on the rope to break the zip tie will now pull the anchor from the bottom, allowing the grapnels to fold and (hopefully) allow you to get the anchor back. I went one step further and use a length of stainless steel chain (about twice the length of the anchor) attached to the anchor, then the main anchor line tied to the chain. I read that the chain will help the anchor lay down and grab quicker.

urbnimports
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: Rigging upgrades and tips

Post by urbnimports » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:52 am

nice tips! I like the foam idea i might have to use that this season!
www.neaafishing.com
http://forum.neaafishing.com

FastWin23
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by FastWin23 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:18 am

thanks for the link and idea. Pretty much doing this one.

---------------------------------
multi tool knives

HdnRibs
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by HdnRibs » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:42 am

Thanks for the tips. I am heading to to garage right now to retie my anchor. :D

Thanks again,

BOB
Fighting the tackle monkey day by day hour by hour

MondayMonkey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by MondayMonkey » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:52 am

Tying my anchor like that has saved me money a few times when it's gotten snagged.

I'm also a huge fan of a simple anchor system I picked up from a friend. I have 2 clam shell cleats riveted next to my seat one on each side. My anchor rope is on a caddy with a float and a ring on it. Add a bow and stern line and you have an modified anchor pulley system. Just slip your bow or stern line through the ring on the anchor rope and cleat it down. In case of emergency yank the bow or stern line from the cleat quick release style and your anchor will slide right off and you are free and safe. The float on the anchor line allows you to retrieve it with ease.

I've found this to be much cheaper, easier to install, and more efficient than a true anchor pulley system. Plus when not using your anchor the bow and stern lines can be left free floating as safety lines. Also works great for drift chutes.

My next project when I have time is to install a 500gph pump inside the hull of my SOT, wire it to my fish finder battery, and add an exit tube/valve off of the side. Flip a switch and you're good to go much easier than trying to manage and hand bilge in an emergency.
Na-na-na-na-na-na-na Fishing!
Fishing... Fishing!