hobie mirage pro angler

Come share your backwater or even blue water success and help others learn more about fishing from a 'yak.
ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

hobie mirage pro angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:41 pm

hey guys,

I am really interested in getting a kayak or a john boat. I am tired of fishing from the bank (I just got kicked out of my favorite spot today because its a "wildlife restoration area" and its state owned...Ive been fishing there for like 2 years..) anyway...has anyone owned one of these? What kind of maintenance is required and how does it perform? Im flat out broke right now (just got two more combos ](*,) ), so I will have to save some money for it...from the videos I have seen it looks pretty stable, it has the awesome trolling motor type attachment if you dont want to use the pedals, and its probably alot cheaper in the long run than a john boat because gas is almost $4 a gallon around here...any experiences to share?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

l2yan
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: hobie mirage pro angler

Post by l2yan » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:26 pm

Sorry, don't own a hobie, nor have I had the chance to paddle one yet. I own and highly recommend you look at the perception pescadore 12.0. They're available for around $500 new :shock: Extremely great deal for a nice kayak. The hull design is the exact mold from the ol' tried and true 2007 WO tarpon 120. Great all-around yak for big and small waters. And FYI, just b/c you mention money, when you look at a kayak's price, I think it's safe to say you may want to add $500-1000 on top of that :shock: for rigging it out...

paddle, PFD, fishfinder, transportion/storage, and the unlimited available/makeable accessories like crate, rod holders, seat, padding (STS), anchor system, dry bag(s), etc.

Only stated so that you're aware of the "long run" price of a yak so you can compare it to a jon boat better. But IMO, after the kayaking experience, I would NEVER go back to using a lower end jon boat or canoe. Maybe a nice big rigged out one for big waters, but that's about it. The kayaking experience is just too cool to express :big grin:

Good luck with you search!
www.BigSmallieTackle.com
www.HeroesOnTheWater.org

FishEastCarolina
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FishEastCarolina » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:46 am

http://www.wavewalk.com/

Best fishing kayak ever, lightweight plenty of storage and you can stand in it. Wat the vids. 6-4 230 lb man paddle with ease and stood with ease. Just gotta find a dealer.
new day the same way

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:04 am

my type of thread...

congrats on wanting to get out ona yack.. the pro angler is the PRIME fishing kayak.. and if you can afford one, get one!! its super super stable and you can practically do backflips on one... i own a mirage sport.. its much smaller but its a great kayak.. u will thank me later!!1
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

ecu daniel 14
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by ecu daniel 14 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:12 am

I was looking at the mirage sport, and I really like the fact that it is smaller then the pro angler...my only concern is stability since I never really used a kayak before....how do you think the sport compares to the pro angler as far as stability?
stress-what happens between fishing trips

JerryC
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by JerryC » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:55 am

ecu daniel 14 wrote:I was looking at the mirage sport, and I really like the fact that it is smaller then the pro angler...my only concern is stability since I never really used a kayak before....how do you think the sport compares to the pro angler as far as stability?
if your pressed for money, get the hobie outback fisherman... i have the sport fisherman and its stable not not nearly as stable as the outback. u can even stand on the outback where on the sport you cant..
neaafishing.com
bocabearings.com
power team lures

uljersey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by uljersey » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:47 pm

I have a Perception Caster. It's 12' 6", weighs about 60 lbs and is rated at 400 lb capacity. I'm over 200 lbs and this thing is a joy to fish with. Dick's carries them up here in New Jersey, I think Academy or Gander Mtn. carry them also. They come with a seat, three rod holders, anchor and rope. I got mine last year during a Memorial Day sale at Dick's for $499. Like was previously mentioned, budget for a paddle, PFD, drybag and roof racks.

http://s.stpost.com/eccStoreFront/produ ... 448E_1.jpg

Choupique
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Choupique » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:08 am

I was looking at the mirage sport, and I really like the fact that it is smaller then the pro angler...my only concern is stability since I never really used a kayak before....how do you think the sport compares to the pro angler as far as stability?
The sport is a great little boat and stable enough for fishing certainly and makes a great boat to mothership around on a motor boat. I wouldn’t recommend standing in it like I would the Hobie Outback or ProAngler. Also the boat is built for a shorter person. If you are over 5'10" I would go to the outback, proangler or revolution... if covering distances is something you see yourself doing a lot. If you are getting a kayak for fishing you have to go with a foot drive. It gives you way more time fishing than a traditional paddle craft.

Here is my facebook page that has a lot of pics on it of fishing out of hobies.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Kayak-Fis ... 8211306216

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:05 am

I have two Hobie Pro Angler's, well actually one is mine and the other is my wife's. These were our 1st kayaks, and we were in love from first sight. We fished a lot out of them the 1st year in small to large lakes. Then we discovered small to large creeks and what they had to offer and found a lot of torn fins and bent Mirage Drive shafts. Everything has been repairable by myself besides the crack in the Mirage Drive area in the hull of my wife's kayak. We traded in her 09' for a 10' warranty where she was without a kayak for about 5 weeks. In the mean time I bought her a 2010 Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120 and she loved it, but wanted her Pro Angler back. After getting the new hull we took them out a few more times, and then I bought a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 160. We started doing more rivers and creeks again so we decided to get Jackson Coosas. We have mainly been in the Coosas this year over 120hrs on them so far. We still have every kayak we have ever owned because there is a place for everyone of them, there is no such thing as the best kayak.

The Pro Angler is a great kayak it's stable, can free up your hands, has lots of storage. On the other hand it's heavy, usually needs a trailer, needs two people to carry it, and the Mirage Drive catches things under the surface of the water. It's best suited on lakes, and large rivers.

Before you buy consider where you will be fishing, and what you will be fishing for.

Jeremy
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member

Fastfish
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Fastfish » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:58 am

The Pro Angler is a great boat but for me its a little on the heavy side for how I do things the Outback(I have one) is the best all around compromise and with all things that float its about compromise thr Pro Angler is very near 100lbs. when your trying to lift it to its trailer or whatever you intend to transport it with.

A Outback has good stability not brainless stability but good enuff if you pay attention, now you can start trading away benefits/detractors like speed vs. stability vs. weight(you gotta move this thing around)vs. not on the water storage(where are ya gonna put it), speed = how much water you can cover so shorter & wider is slower than long & narrow(Adventure) like I said earlier compromise, my wife has a Revolution13 she loves it, the 1st thing I notice when I'm on here yak is this thing is quieter than mine, but narrower but does'nt feel tippy at all but you won't ever see me trying to stand while on that yak hers is definitely lighter thats immediately noticeable when loading them to the roof of the SUV(cussing wish this thing was lighter) there might be 2 Revolution 11's in our future as I'm thinking this might be the best compromise for us but we'll see as I really cannot imagine giving up my Outback for any reason.

donholton
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by donholton » Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:24 am

Have never used a pedal drive kayak , but after one year in my Malibu Stealth 12 I can only say I wish I would not have waited so long to get a kayak. Great fun and no gasoline while I can still fish very seriously and sucessfully. In addition to my Stealth I'm buying a faster boat, a Tarpon 140, this spring to be used on large lakes. I can't wait. These things are great!

MidTNKayakAngler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by MidTNKayakAngler » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:50 am

FIgured I would chime in again. In late Sept I purchased a 2012 Revolution 13 and upgraded to the ST Turbo Fins. It's a great kayak, although I can't comfortably stand up in it it's easier to transport than the Pro Angler, faster, better turning response, and is very comfortable. I can't say that it's better than the Pro Angler, but I'm really liking. I am glad I added it to the stable.
Hook1 Crew
KBF Unleashed Member