Best Co-Angler Tackle Bag?

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Best Co-Angler Tackle Bag?

Post by BlaineFred » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:12 am

I belong to several small bass tournament clubs where I am a co-angler fishing in back of the boat.

I'm in need of a new tackle bag, and it's a challenge because space limits the size.

I use 3600 boxes and the older Falcon plastic boxes.

I considered bags from Bass Pro shops, but neither the Extreme models nor the Stalker model impressed me. The closest I came was almost buying a the Extreme Qualifier 360 model, but I preferred a bag just a little larger.

I considered the Bass Pro XPS Stalker, but it has features such as sunglasses holder and line-spooling pockets that I don't need and that I could not see any other uses for he features.

I prefer a bag where the boxes are accessed from the top rather than the side.

I would greatly appreciate advice or tips.

Thanks,

Fred

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Best Co-Angler Tackle Bag?

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:49 pm

Holy crap..they still make this thing...

mine got run over by a truck on the beach back in 1998....

And It still goes with me on every boat trip..whether it's 100 nautical miles offshore

or a bass tournament.

My only complaint....after 20 years the velcro isn't super sticky anymore.... :) And it's faded due to uv rays...LOL

The top slot is nice..it opens up larger and doesn't snag hooks so you can toss crap in there and retrieve it quickly.

crap.....I wish I knew they still made these...or were still available....

http://berinsontackle.com/products-page ... ackle-bag/

ScoobyDoo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ScoobyDoo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:51 pm

crap....old listing.....it isn't available...

Check out SKB spectacular stuff....

IF you turned a hobie kayak...into a tackle box....this is what it would be

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:42 am

Thanks. I checked out SKB but $250-400 is far over what I expected to pay.

robsone79
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by robsone79 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:11 am

im using the tackle warehouse backpack in its working out great. im a boater and non boater on some tournaments. treat your boaters right and throw in a few extra $$ for fuel and such, they'll remember that next time you need a certain bait/ terminal tackle, etc..
good luck
let us know what you decided to go with.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:50 pm

Thanks,,,,I have the TW backpack, using it for bank fishing trips.

It's too small for my needs. I want to carry four 3600 boxes, or Falcon boxes.

I don't want to go big.

Looking at the Falcon bags on TW, but I hesitate to buy without seeing it and having my bands on it.

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:27 pm

I have the new Falcon FTO bag- it's basically the old V6 bag sized up a bit to accept 3700's instead of the no-longer made Falcon FTO's...which is to say it's about 2" longer across than it used to be. Still a nice compact size for a Co - hold 4 3700's and has a few external pockets as well for plastics or other items. But if you have 3600's there are probably better options. The best was the old Tackle Logic which held 3600's vertical in the main compartment and held 4 3700's in external pockets but they quit making it a long time ago.

Suggest looking at one of the Yellow boat bags, made (or branded) by several manfs - BPS, Lews, Simms, etc. One of the smaller options would work great since you have boxes of different sizes.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:17 am

78Staff wrote:I have the new Falcon FTO bag- it's basically the old V6 bag sized up a bit to accept 3700's instead of the no-longer made Falcon FTO's...which is to say it's about 2" longer across than it used to be. Still a nice compact size for a Co - hold 4 3700's and has a few external pockets as well for plastics or other items. But if you have 3600's there are probably better options. The best was the old Tackle Logic which held 3600's vertical in the main compartment and held 4 3700's in external pockets but they quit making it a long time ago.

Suggest looking at one of the Yellow boat bags, made (or branded) by several manfs - BPS, Lews, Simms, etc. One of the smaller options would work great since you have boxes of different sizes.
I still have mine. Great bag!

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:58 pm

Johnny A wrote:
78Staff wrote:I have the new Falcon FTO bag- it's basically the old V6 bag sized up a bit to accept 3700's instead of the no-longer made Falcon FTO's...which is to say it's about 2" longer across than it used to be. Still a nice compact size for a Co - hold 4 3700's and has a few external pockets as well for plastics or other items. But if you have 3600's there are probably better options. The best was the old Tackle Logic which held 3600's vertical in the main compartment and held 4 3700's in external pockets but they quit making it a long time ago.

Me too, although mine is pretty faded. I never really warmed up to 3600's so stopped using it when I swapped over to the original FTR and V12/V6 bags. But I think I found a new use for it - I'm going to try it with the XL Flambeau 16.5" wide boxes in the main compartment, and of course you can still put 4 3700's in the two side pockets. The Flambeau 700x makes a great Jig box, so I picked up a few 6000r's to try out as they are the same width, and all should fit nicely in the the TackleLogic Main compartment, which is 18" long.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:32 am

Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Finnz922 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:31 pm

I have that bag. It's not small. I have 3 deep coffins, 2 shallow coffins, 1 deep 3700 casket, and 1 shallow 3700 casket. The only thing I don't like is the handle and rollers. Otherwise is a good bag. Kind of funny sized. You would have thought they would have built it around their coffin boxes. They didn't.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I didn't know how much bigger than the tackle warehouse bag he wanted to go. Here is a bag that looks big enough to hold tackle and rain gear in. http://www.basspro.com/Plano-ASeries-Ta ... t/2265473/
and a strait forward smaller bag http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Plano_Mi ... oCBUnw_wcB
This is probably not what he is looking for, but this is what I usually bring with me when I go fishing with someone else on their boat. I have an older version of this box. Image
http://www.planomolding.com/fishing/pla ... tackle-box
The lower half can hold tackle boxes or larger stuff (gloves, pliers, unopened bait packages etc.) on the left and spinnerbaits etc or soft bait packages on the right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv0nq2FnNBs
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

78Staff
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by 78Staff » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:12 pm

78Staff wrote:
Johnny A wrote:

Me too, although mine is pretty faded. I never really warmed up to 3600's so stopped using it when I swapped over to the original FTR and V12/V6 bags. But I think I found a new use for it - I'm going to try it with the XL Flambeau 16.5" wide boxes in the main compartment, and of course you can still put 4 3700's in the two side pockets. The Flambeau 700x makes a great Jig box, so I picked up a few 6000r's to try out as they are the same width, and all should fit nicely in the the TackleLogic Main compartment, which is 18" long.
Jury's still out on the Tackle Logic resurrection... the 6004's are only 1.5" deep, not 2", so even though they are larger than the 3700 size, they really don't hold any more tackle like crankbaits as you can't put as many in a section. But, I did order another Deep 7004 which holds a ton of crankbaits lol. So I may go one Deep 7003 for Jigs/Trailer bags, one 7004 for most often used cranks, then maybe one 6004 for more slender baits like jerks or traps, topwater, etc. That still leaves room for 4 regular 3700 size boxes so I can build out "specialty" boxes for stuff I might take on some trips but not others, ie Xtra Deep Cranks, Swimbaits, Live Bait setups, inshore (river), etc.

Mothra
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Mothra » Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:20 pm

Okeechobee fats for me