Off season fitness

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Off season fitness

Post by FishGirl71 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:24 am

Just curious what everyone does here to stay in shape for the next tournament season. There's nothing worse than suffering fatigue halfway through the day in the beginning of the season. I have a few exercises that I do for balance and forearm strength, etc. I was curious what others do.

Dustys60
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Off season fitness

Post by Dustys60 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:15 am

Cut firewood

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:50 am

Dustys60 wrote:Cut firewood
Ditto, I split, hauled and stacked a cord last Sunday afternoon.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:29 am

Fishing and fitness is my two obsessions. I'm an avid runner - averaging over 3300 miles a year and gym goer 5 days a week. And living in city that has over 300 sunny days a year is a blessing. For instance, today, a week before Christmas, its still in the high 60's low 70's :D

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:33 am

ayo8 wrote:Fishing and fitness is my two obsessions. I'm an avid runner - averaging over 3300 miles a year and gym goer 5 days a week. And living in city that has over 300 sunny days a year is a blessing. For instance, today, a week before Christmas, its still in the high 60's low 70's :D
Must be nice. I just got out of a -10''s cold spell
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

ayo8
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by ayo8 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:51 am

ccass wrote:
ayo8 wrote:Fishing and fitness is my two obsessions. I'm an avid runner - averaging over 3300 miles a year and gym goer 5 days a week. And living in city that has over 300 sunny days a year is a blessing. For instance, today, a week before Christmas, its still in the high 60's low 70's :D
Dude, that's ridiculous, Lol. I use to live in Chicago (move there strictly for work) I only made it past the first winter and called it quits! No large six figure salary was worth -15. I did enjoy the salmon runs in Wisconsin.

TommyG
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TommyG » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:02 pm

It's tuff living in "El Norte" too cold to fish right now. I'm in the gym as much as possible. 3mi. on the dreadmill, with an arms and legs routine. Got to keep those fish muscles in shape if you want to hit it hard in the spring. 2 more months. :crying:

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:24 am

TommyG wrote:It's tuff living in "El Norte" too cold to fish right now. I'm in the gym as much as possible. 3mi. on the dreadmill, with an arms and legs routine. Got to keep those fish muscles in shape if you want to hit it hard in the spring. 2 more months. :crying:
I got about 3.5 to 4 months depending on the ice. That is also fishing frigid water until May as well.
IG @hobie_wan_kenobi_fishing

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:44 am

ccass wrote:
I fished for a little bit this afternoon. It was 61* and sunny here. :big grin:
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

Mike and Pike
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Mike and Pike » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:01 am

Shiver. And run to tip-ups.
Shiver burns calories. Run =fun.

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:45 am

Due to health reasons I was unable to workout for 1.5 years. Just got back into the swing of things about 2 months ago. I workout for about 6 hours a week combining sports, cardio, and weight lifting. Plus a halfway disciplined diet.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:14 am

I've had some tournament-related injuries in the past few years related to not staying in shape in the off season. I've been rehabbing a tendon issue in my thumb/forearm related to pitching continuously in several back-to-back tournaments. So, for me, I work on forearm strength and such a lot. Cardio is also helpful of course, and balance exercises make life so much easier when you get on the water in the wind (and, really, does the wind every not blow during a tournament? LOL). I like Troy Lindner's Fit 4 Fishing videos. I recommend them for people looking to stay in shape specifically for fishing. That is his focus and the exercises do make a different once you get on the water.