Aaron Martens -- 2015 Success with new Sponsors

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Aaron Martens -- 2015 Success with new Sponsors

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Fri Dec 18, 2015 3:30 am

Consistent results is the key component where I start believing skill (or something besides luck) is the primary determining factor as to which angler produces better catches. Knowing only what has been said in this thread about FLS --- are there specific anglers that consistently place high? If so, they likely have a winning skill set, strategy, gear -- but likely something besides blind luck. It stands to reason, as Tim has mentioned, that a shorter format and lack of practice on a specific body of water would allow luck to play a more significant role in the outcome. Consistent winnings or high finishes by specific anglers should indicate that something besides luck is a larger component of who wins or places well. A lack of consistent winners or high placers should indicate luck as more of a significant factor.

Concerning mid-level gear: the price of an item does not necessarily make it better for catching more or larger fish. Even though a rod is not as light, sensitive, stiff, or parabolic as another one, it could still be a very good tool for catching fish using a specific technique. Even though a reel is not as light, smooth, blingy, have the most ergonomic handle, have a spare spool or the perfect line capacity it may still be an extremely good option for catching fish.

Depending upon techniques being used, however, there are likely limitations such that too inappropriate a rod or reel or boat or motor or lure or hook reduce the likelyhood of impressive catches to the extent that few, if any, anglers fishing an elite tournament would choose to use them. Yes, sponsorships and endorcement packages may be part of the deal --- but so are consistent or high place weigh ins. It is difficult to have a high level of one without the other. If an elite angler has consistent strong weight ins and strong endorsement sponsorship (and of course depends on the endorsed gear during the competition) --- at that point I would DEFINITELY consider his gear choices as legitimate.

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:36 am

I would say his gear choice was as much to do with money as quality.

As for luck vs skill. One must know what's going on weather wise, temp wise, water wise, how fish relate to these variables, lure selection, ability to dissect information from the electroics and then combjne all of that for those magical bites. One has less time to do this during the 1 day tournament so they must use the skills they have learned to find the fish vs hunting for a pattern over a few days. Luck is catching a few on a frog fishing shallow when everything points to a blueback bite. Like I said not taking anything away from him or his skill but just because you are dominate on one trail does not mean you will be dominate on other trails and watching all three series one can see this play out.

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:06 am

jtgibso1 wrote:a mart is a phenom. you can tell in how he carries himself he's like many crazy eccentric people that are wicked smart, yet have little people skills.
X2 Love his videos, he is anal to the point of brilliance.

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:20 am

I think the thing that most average people fail to remember is that multi day, 5 bass limit tournaments are a specific game, with specific rules that give way to specific styles and strategies that tend to work well. It is the format that 99% of tournament bass fisherman have been subject to for years. Something like MLF, or Big Bass Challenge, is a different animal altogether. Sure, it's the same stick and ball, as it were, but it is a different game. These top 10 -15 guys, that you see day in and day out are likely the best all around bass anglers in the world. Sure, the pole may change as the format changes, but they are still the best. (for the most part, I will concede that there are personalities that are allowed to hang around much like golf's sponsor exemptions).
Take for instance, our local weekend warrior series. The guys consistently in the front of the pack? Good anglers, yes, but their career and financial situations generally allow them much more time on the water year round, not to mention in the weeks before an event. What I wouldn't do for a week of pre fish. (As silly as it is for a top payout under $2000 dollars most events.) There is no such disparity among these elite anglers. It is an even playing field.

Long story short, it may be KVD in one format, Ehlers in another, Martens somewhere else. The format, the venues, the timing of events, all has something to do with where they end up, AMONGST EACHOTHER. But these guys are undisputedly the most talented bass anglers in the world, right now. You might get lucky and beat them once in a while, but Classic appearances, AOY titles and win after win after win are not luck. Saying that their equipment has something to do with them being better than the average Joe is just silly. The average Joe on this forum uses nicer gear than most pros. It's like saying that the glove makes the ball player, or for my Canadian brethren, the stick makes the hockey player. It just isn't true. It's 99%+ skill here folks. Martens leaving Megabass for Enigma and having a fantastic year just goes to prove that. If you think that Martens winning with Enigma only means that Megabass has a new challenger in the market, you are buying way, WAY too much into what these companies are selling you.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:28 am

Bucketmouth,

I agree with most of what you are saying. I certainly do not think that the stick makes the hockey player -- but then what would a hockey player be without a stick? Sticks are part of the equation, and like fishing tackle, hockey sticks are customized to fit the player. If it did not make any difference -- then why do amateur anglers and hockey players (without any endorsement package) either customize their own gear and / or pay someone else to customize gear. Why, as mentioned multiple times earlier in this thread, is Aaron Martens so anal about his fishing gear?

What I get from Aaron Martens 2015 season: I'm impressed with the good year Aaron Martens had, but I'm not yet convinced it was because he fished Enigma rods. I would definitely be interested in his thoughts as to how much Enigma rods played a role in his winning, but to take it a step further -- I'm even more interested in how much of a role he would credit micro wave guides on a spinning rod? Likely that is a question I should attempt to ask Aaron Martens himself.

Let me say, I'm more than a little skeptical of the micro wave guide system. My reason is the results I achieved while testing with a custom rod layout with the micro wave system. Rather than building the rod then testing -- I secured guides in place with zip ties following exact layout (guide spacing) specifications sent with the guide set. My results were: Yes, if I did not cast TOO HARD the casts were smoother, but definitely not as long as I was achieving with Fuji KR system (and following KR instructions). Long story short, after testing, I continued building rods with the Fuji KR system, and have yet to wrap the micro wave guide system on a single rod.

I still find it intriguing that some of Aaron Marten's 2015 wins, perhaps, may have been partly a result of fishing the micro wave guide system on spinning rods. Going back to our hockey stick and fishing rod customization illustration: What does Aaron Martens prefer about micro wave spinning guides? Could be the smooth casting I mentioned, could possibly be better line management / less tangles -- if casts are not too forceful. If the reel / line are matched perfectly to the guide spacing, perhaps casting distance may be about equal with other well set up guide systems as well-- finally, as alluded to several times in this thread, it is possible Aaron Martens' use of the micro wave spinning guide system may be all or mostly about endorsement money. Any thoughts?

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BucketHunter » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:16 am

He's anal about gear and technique, because he needs to beat guys like KVD. Not guys like you. End of story. It's a different level altogether. Maybe it makes 1% difference. It doesn't bridge the wide gap between you and him if he uses inferior gear. This year Enigma, last year Megabass. Same results. End of story.
I swear, these guys that think their gear actually makes a big difference have grand delusions about their skill levels...it ain't happening. Like super high end gear? Fine, no problem. Think it makes you KVD? Take a hike :lol:
And those hockey players? Put one on the ice with a Sherwood 9050 and the rest of us with the newest composites. The pro is going to whoop the shite out of me and all my beer league goons. PERIOD.

Susitnasalmonguide
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Susitnasalmonguide » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:56 pm

Buckethunter,

Exactly my point -- Aaron Martens or any pro on the elite circuit needs to beat those other top pros on the circuit ---not me -- and that is why they need gear that does not restrict their ability (or at least not too much). As mentioned earlier, I would not bet on myself against any of the elite tournament bass pros in that format. I have no illusions about my chances of winning one of those tournaments -- no matter what level of gear I was using.

I would rather guide anglers for salmon on some Alaska rivers while using quality fishing gear that increases my guests enjoyment of the fishing experience and may also increase their chances of catching fish. That is what I am about. Some of the rods used on my charters were developed for bass tournament fishing -- but in my mind, they are excellent tools for how I use them on salmon charters. That is my primary interest in bass tournaments -- what kind of new gear is coming out of them -- and how does that gear relate to the salmon fishing I am doing.

There is no way I have the budget to try every new rod, reel, or even lure that comes on the market, but other guides and many guests who fish on my boats know I am a gear head -- and am constantly trying new things or attempting to customize gear to make it work better. One of the reasons some guests choose to fish with me is the gear, and their getting a chance to fish with it. A lot of my gear would be considered "middle of the road," price wise by many who write reviews or post on Tackle Tour. Even my customizations are nothing compared to what some on Tackle Tour do. Even so, much of the gear I now own and use has been influenced by what I learn on Tackle Tour -- so thank you everyone for your contributions. =D>

JWR075
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by JWR075 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:48 am

Reviving an old post but Aaron is now officially with DUO Realis as of today.