How to get sponsors?

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
Finnz922
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

How to get sponsors?

Post by Finnz922 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:03 am

What did you guys do to get sponsors? Whether it's for money, free stuff, discounts or logos it doesn'the matter.

GOOD YEAR 71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: How to get sponsors?

Post by GOOD YEAR 71 » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:32 am

I'm not a tournament guy but I do know business. Bottom line is quite simple; you have to sell yourself.
Last edited by GOOD YEAR 71 on Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Wed Oct 21, 2015 2:09 am

Become friendly with as many people in the fishing industry as possible. Especially, the ones that you use and trust. They want to know who they are supporting. It really is about who you know in the beginning. There is a big buddy network in the fishing industry. Once you have consistent results, then you can get more sponsors.
I just fish regional stuff. I'm too particular about what I use to even want most smaller sponsors. They aren't going to pay or give you much when you are starting out. Many will expect you to work trade shows or events. Working at trade shows can be fun in the beginning, but you will find that its not really worth it for a few small cost products when you have a life outside of fishing and your time is valuable.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:58 pm

A thing I notice is that most people try to go to big to start out. Start by reaching out to those people you know and or businesses that are local to you. Then first ask yourself what you can do to help their business. If you can't answer that question don't even bother approaching them until you figure it out.

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:48 am

I think Rick Clunn said it best:

"Win tournaments.....the rest will take care of itself"

Crankbaitmaker

BigG
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BigG » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:08 am

Yes, be friendly and meet as many people as possible, but you got to WIN.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 24, 2016 5:56 am

Just wanted to add, Facebook is very helpful in gaining sponsors. They all want to Be able to quickly look you up and see your fishing activity.

FishGirl71
Angler
Angler

Post by FishGirl71 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:28 am

While I would agree that being able to do well in tournaments is somewhat important, being a marketer is more important to most sponsors. They want to know that you have a circle of influence and that people will take your recommendations. Social media presence has become a good way for sponsors to get to know you without too much trouble. Having a YouTube channel or a FB or Insta page directly related to fishing is really helpful. The thing to remember with social media is that, if you are using it as a place for sponsors to see what you are all about, it needs to be professional - keep your personal stuff separate. Just my two cents.