Small Club Co-Angler Tournament Protocol

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Small Club Co-Angler Tournament Protocol

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:34 am

I fish small club tournaments as a co-angler, and I am unclear on some protocol.

This may vary from club to club, but I would appreciate info on your club, and the general protocol.

The protocol question concerns suggestions made by the co-angler to the boater. One club that I belong to says that the co-angler offering suggestions is a no-no and a breach in protocol, even if most of the fishing day has been very tough on the locations that the boater has chosen. The only way that co-angler can offer suggestions is if the boater asks.

One example....our weigh-in was at 3:00, and we had not caught very much. At around 2:00, we were near some attractive looking-docks near the launch area and also near the bass release point. I suggested fishing the docks, but the boater declined. Another boater then fished the docks and caught some very nice bass.

The second point is co-angler research prior to the tournament, and offering suggestions at that point during the pre-tourney discussions.

Would appreciate info on the protocol and how your club handles these situations.

Thanks.

Teal101
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Small Club Co-Angler Tournament Protocol

Post by Teal101 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:54 am

BlaineFred wrote:I fish small club tournaments as a co-angler, and I am unclear on some protocol.

This may vary from club to club, but I would appreciate info on your club, and the general protocol.

The protocol question concerns suggestions made by the co-angler to the boater. One club that I belong to says that the co-angler offering suggestions is a no-no and a breach in protocol, even if most of the fishing day has been very tough on the locations that the boater has chosen. The only way that co-angler can offer suggestions is if the boater asks.

One example....our weigh-in was at 3:00, and we had not caught very much. At around 2:00, we were near some attractive looking-docks near the launch area and also near the bass release point. I suggested fishing the docks, but the boater declined. Another boater then fished the docks and caught some very nice bass.

The second point is co-angler research prior to the tournament, and offering suggestions at that point during the pre-tourney discussions.

Would appreciate info on the protocol and how your club handles these situations.

Thanks.
If it is not a team tournament, sadly you are at the whim of the boater.

Our local groups are trying to setup a Pro-Am style event where a "Pro" (boater) and Amateur (non-boater) fish together. The teams are decided by draw. The rule though is that at least one fish for the teams bag must be caught by the co. It encourages the boater to not hog the front of the boat and allow his co to get into some quality fishing. It also adds the working together aspect.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:38 am

If it is not a team tournament, sadly you are at the whim of the boater.

I understand that is the case....BUT in the case of a tournament day, and both anglers are doing poorly....
say there is one hour to go...

AND there is an attractive fishing area nearby....

Is it a protocol breach for the co-angler to offer a suggestion?

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:22 pm

The way that I see it.... you should always work together whether you are fishing against the guy in the boat or not. The goal is to catch fish. Just because someone owns the boat does not necessarily mean they are the only one that knows where and how to catch fish. The final decission may be the "pro" but the thoughts of the co angler should never be disrespected. You should be able to express your opinion, you threw your money in too. It is an amatuer tournament. Neither of you are trying to make a house payment with the winnings. BOTH of you are trying to put fish in the boat. If that is not happening then two heads are usually better than one. I would look for a better club. Sounds like the guys that you are fishing with are just full of themselves.

Crankbaitmaker

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:29 am

If you have an hour of tournament left, no fish in the livewell and the non-boater makes a suggestion to try and fish something different, I'm trying something different, as long as rules allow. I would probably have asked 3 hours ago!