Tournament Tips and Strategy

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
bassninja
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Tournament Tips and Strategy

Post by bassninja » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:09 am

So all you tournament fishermen in here, what are some tips for putting more fish in the livewell during tournament time?

I know practice of course is of utmost importance, just to eliminate water and focus on more productive spots.

But I'm curious to hear what your strategies are for practice, beginning of the tournament, end of the tourney in search of kicker fish, when fish aren't biting, etc...

antoywkr578
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Re: Tournament Tips and Strategy

Post by antoywkr578 » Sun May 12, 2013 9:04 pm

Always i am fishing various venue. Because every place need to gather different experience and trips. If you do this regular, the tournament is not very hard for you. So i think , everyone can follow me.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Sun May 12, 2013 11:19 pm

bassninja wrote:So all you tournament fishermen in here, what are some tips for putting more fish in the livewell during tournament time?

I know practice of course is of utmost importance, just to eliminate water and focus on more productive spots.

But I'm curious to hear what your strategies are for practice, beginning of the tournament, end of the tourney in search of kicker fish, when fish aren't biting, etc...
From my tournament days there was one strategy that always helped greatly, keep the bait in the water! Fish to the last possible second and always go with your gut.

cndbasshunter
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by cndbasshunter » Sun May 12, 2013 11:59 pm

always keep moving.....the fish wont find you by itself, you have to keep searching.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:16 pm

Tip # 1

If the area near the launch location is not off limits, fish the area because previous tournaments may have released fish there that could still be there or near the area. If possible, fish the area as early as possible before others fish it.

Tip # 2

If the main body of water is muddy, try to find a creek or other connecting water that is clear or clearer. The clear water could have more oxygen and could be more attractive to bass.

RISE
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RISE » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:05 am

BlaineFred wrote:Tip # 1

If the area near the launch location is not off limits, fish the area because previous tournaments may have released fish there that could still be there or near the area. If possible, fish the area as early as possible before others fish it.

Tip # 2

If the main body of water is muddy, try to find a creek or other connecting water that is clear or clearer. The clear water could have more oxygen and could be more attractive to bass.
=D> good stuff right there

Niven8
Angler
Angler

Post by Niven8 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:09 am

BlaineFred wrote:Tip # 1

Tip # 2

Very good info

Crankbaitmaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Crankbaitmaker » Sat Dec 06, 2014 10:37 pm

Tournament fishing is a game of odds. The better the odds are in your favor the better chance that you will not be just a "donor". I like to pick my battles. If I am no good in the summer then I do not fish summer tournaments. I always fish my stregnths. In my opinion, tournament time is not the time to try new things. I understand being versitile and all of that stuff. But I have about 8 techniques that I use tournament fishing throughout all of the different seasons. I know that they produce no matter where I fish. This keeps the amount of tackle down that I have to carry and choose from. I am not carrying baits for the spring when I am fishing in January. I don't burn time looking at all kinds of stuff that I am carrying and wondering what to throw. If I am not catching fish then I feel that I am not in the right place, (which I believe is the problem of most tournament anglers) not that I am not using the correct bait. I try not to have more than 3 rods on the deck at any one time. If I have more than that then I feel I do not know what I am doing. And of course that has happened too. :-$

Tournament fishing on both a small and large scale takes money. None of it is cheap. Don't pay any attention to the guys that are talking a bunch of smack about you need to be able to catch fish in all seasons. I and most others do not fish to pay the bills. If you are truely honest with yourself, you know when you are at your best. That is when you should throw your money into the ring.

Crankbaitmaker

cdav111
Angler
Angler

Post by cdav111 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:55 am

Most important thing I have learned so far is to listen to those gut feelings and fish today. You can't catch yesterday's fish.

Be patient you gotta catch Em one at a time

If you are confident there are fish in an area hit it multiple times in the day

Do your research and have a real good idea of what it takes to win and whato it takes to cash a check

relax and have fun.