following tourney rules?

Share your success or frustration in the competitive side of fishing.
andrey
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

following tourney rules?

Post by andrey » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:13 pm

what are your guys thoughts on following tourney rules. in our club we are not supposed to take our life jackets off if the gas motor is running. if anyone is caught not wearing the jacket is disqualified on the spot. my partner and I saw the top 4 finishers not wear their jackets at all while big motor running. we didnt say anything because snitching is stupid. we finished 9th in tourney and take our hats off to these fellas who outfished us. I just wish they followed the rules.
what do you guys think? is ok if these rules arent followed?

samuraiti
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: following tourney rules?

Post by samuraiti » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:04 pm

You're put in a hard spot for sure. In my opinion, yes, everyone should be following the rules. This one in particular.

Should you be the one telling the TD or other official...that's tough.

I know there are circuits where people have been DQ'd by the tournament officials (Anglers Choice Western Rookie League on the CA Delta). The TD said he would do and and lived up to his word. His point was the life jackets help save a life whether you're going 70mph or 5mph. So true. Nice to see a TD and his officials have some balls! :lol:

Todd

bstuckey
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by bstuckey » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:04 am

I know it's a technicality but if the rules state that life jackets must be worn and a DQ will be enforced if not followed then they should have been DQ'd. Would I personally turn them in? NO, but I would personally talk to them and remind them of the rule, who knows there may be other rules that they are taking liberties with. :-k

stratos20
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by stratos20 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:18 am

Before the next tourney I would emphasis to the torunament director to announce the rule before blastoff and that is must be ffollowed for safety!
Fish on!

Crankbait1007
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Crankbait1007 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:51 am

Yeah that is a tuff one especially since it’s not like giving up a fish or fishing a prohibited area. I think talking to the director would be the ticket.

518bassin
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by 518bassin » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:38 am

bstuckey wrote:I know it's a technicality but if the rules state that life jackets must be worn and a DQ will be enforced if not followed then they should have been DQ'd. Would I personally turn them in? NO, but I would personally talk to them and remind them of the rule, who knows there may be other rules that they are taking liberties with. :-k

x2. Breaking rules can be a slippery slope. If they are not following this most basic of rules what other rules could they be "bending". I know you probably think they wouldnt cheat because its just a club tourney but youd be suprised the way people act when there in competition no matter how small it seams. I use to play line in an indoor flag football league for a few seasons up until last year and you would think it was the NFL combine the way some of these guys acted. As far as on the safety side of things I could never imagine not wearing your life vest while in a boat. Going on 5 yrs ago I was almost killed and my friend lost his life in a boating accident and no one was wearing a life vest. In the accident the life vests wouldnt have mattered anyway but I still think about " what ifs" all the time like what if I was thrown from the boat knocked out I would have drown. Have the TD remind everyone of how important the most basic of safety precautions are and if you see them do it again then I would probably have a conversation with the TD.