Salt free trailers

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Salt free trailers

Post by dragon1 » Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:15 am

Hello TT,

I have some custom swimjigs built with Owner deep throat style high carbon content hooks...these things are ridiculously sharp and hook and hold better than just about anything else I have ever used. This said, every season I strip off the plastics and have to clean off the rust on the hooks. I have gotten to the point where I just take the trailer off if I'm not going to be using it much for the next few weeks. Still, I would rather find a good alternative for plastic trailers sans the salt.

What recommendations do you have for salt free trailers for swimjigs and chatters? Looking for something compact like 3.5" - 4" range.

Thanks in advance.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Salt free trailers

Post by Canga- » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:02 am

look into getting some custom baits made, there is a ton of bait makers in some groups on facebook that would be willing to help! personally i never put salt in my baits, its used by the big bait brands as a filler, its cheaper than plastisol and also weakens the baits, making them less expensive to produce and tear easier forcing you to buy more!

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:26 am

Canga- wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:02 am
look into getting some custom baits made, there is a ton of bait makers in some groups on facebook that would be willing to help! personally i never put salt in my baits, its used by the big bait brands as a filler, its cheaper than plastisol and also weakens the baits, making them less expensive to produce and tear easier forcing you to buy more!
On the other hand, fish do hold onto salty baits longer.

Canga-
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Canga- » Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:06 am

mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:26 am
Canga- wrote:
maybe, i havent noticed any difference since i started making my own baits. also how long do you need them to hold on?

Gone Phishin
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Gone Phishin » Wed Oct 11, 2023 10:24 am

Canga- wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 2:06 am
mark poulson wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:26 am
Canga- wrote:
maybe, i havent noticed any difference since i started making my own baits. also how long do you need them to hold on?
Depends on how much I've had to drink. :lol:

Heitman
Angler
Angler

Post by Heitman » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:47 pm

dragon1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:15 am
Hello TT,

I have some custom swimjigs built with Owner deep throat style high carbon content hooks...these things are ridiculously sharp and hook and hold better than just about anything else I have ever used. This said, every season I strip off the plastics and have to clean off the rust on the hooks. I have gotten to the point where I just take the trailer off if I'm not going to be using it much for the next few weeks. Still, I would rather find a good alternative for plastic trailers sans the salt.

What recommendations do you have for salt free trailers for swimjigs and chatters? Looking for something compact like 3.5" - 4" range.

Thanks in advance.
Xcite baits do not use salt.

dragon1
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by dragon1 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:04 pm

Heitman wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:47 pm
dragon1 wrote:
Sun Oct 01, 2023 7:15 am
Hello TT,

Thanks in advance.
Xcite baits do not use salt.
Yeppers, I have used Xcite for years, but they have limited offerings, although they do work well. Thanks for your input.
"It is like a finger pointing away to the Moon...don't concentrate on the finger, or you will miss all of that heavenly glory."