Jackall dead fin darter

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Jackall dead fin darter

Post by LowRange » Tue May 24, 2022 6:06 pm

Anyone fish these? They are sort of like a heavy flat soft jerkbait with a spiral fall. They skip really well too. I got them for our shad spawn.
https://youtu.be/VhVPmq8n_7U

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Jackall dead fin darter

Post by LowRange » Fri May 27, 2022 5:32 am

Caught a bunch on this one yesterday. Fun super versatile bait with pretty good durability when used in a screw lock. I think it was a 4.0 hook. It it versatile in that it can be skipped under a dock and dead sticked or kept on top and walked as a topwater. Compared to a soft jerkbait like a caffeine shad (a favorite of mine) this bait is heavier but comes to the surface as easily and make more commotion on top. On the fall the caffeine shad will slow glide while wagging its tail and this bait falls faster with a spiraling action. To me, vs a normal soft jerkbait, I like the Deadfin deep in scattered weeds, along weed lines with a pop and spiral drop and on top in a top water bite as a follow up bait or when they want it near the surface to key in on it but to spiral down to take it. In the shallows sub surface or over shallow grass? It gets bit but I'm still leaning on my caffeine shads and flukes.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:01 am

This looks interesting and the profile is identical to the shad and bluegill around here right now. Would love to try it out but they are hard to find. What gear have you been throwing yours on?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:01 am
This looks interesting and the profile is identical to the shad and bluegill around here right now. Would love to try it out but they are hard to find. What gear have you been throwing yours on?
I've been using the 4.8 on 12# flouro with a Tatula Type R with Ray's Long Cast spool (stiff spring SV spool) on a gen 1 Zodias 72M. Casting and twitching when they are aggressive and pulling it through the water and letting it spiral fall when they are less aggressive. Today was a less aggressive bite and the key was skipping the bait to docks and letting it fall. It was real similar to a Senko but but they see those so much on this lake and this is something different.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:23 am

Also these are pricy and only come 4 to a pack for the 4.8. Don't throw them out when the nose gets tore out. You can take a heat gun or lighter and melt the nose back together. I also started opening my screw lock clips to encourage the hook to come free of the lock leaving it embedded in the bait and encouraging the bait to slide up the line when I stick a fish and the fight is on. You have to use screw locks on these or the nose gets tore up bad. This bait has seen a dozen fish and the nose was split in half. Added some heat gun to liquefy the nose and it pours into the crack and fuses the nose shut.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 9:43 am
Firstoutfisher wrote:
I've been using the 4.8 on 12# flouro with a Tatula Type R with Ray's Long Cast spool (stiff spring SV spool) on a gen 1 Zodias 72M. Casting and twitching when they are aggressive and pulling it through the water and letting it spiral fall when they are less aggressive. Today was a less aggressive bite and the key was skipping the bait to docks and letting it fall. It was real similar to a Senko but but they see those so much on this lake and this is something different.
Ahhh, thanks for the additional info. I will probably eventually pick some of these up to try out,did not realize how expensive they were. My main use for it would be skipping. How do they skip? I know in the jackall video that look like they skip great.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:06 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:51 pm
LowRange wrote:
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Ahhh, thanks for the additional info. I will probably eventually pick some of these up to try out,did not realize how expensive they were. My main use for it would be skipping. How do they skip? I know in the jackall video that look like they skip great.
They skip extremely well. Skipping docks and then letting it spiral fall was the ticket this morning. My fish see a ton of senkos so I started skipping these and have been getting bit. The bite I had before with the bait was an erratic twitching near surface retrieve. Super versatile baits.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:13 pm

LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:06 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Firstoutfisher wrote:
They skip extremely well. Skipping docks and then letting it spiral fall was the ticket this morning. My fish see a ton of senkos so I started skipping these and have been getting bit. The bite I had before with the bait was an erratic twitching near surface retrieve. Super versatile baits.
Good to hear, how much does the 4.8 weigh?

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:16 pm

Firstoutfisher wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:13 pm
LowRange wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:06 pm
Firstoutfisher wrote:
LowRange wrote:
Firstoutfisher wrote:
Good to hear, how much does the 4.8 weigh?
It feels like around 3/8 oz

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:09 am

3 killed in action so far out of the 4 pack. Lost 2 and one just wore out. Had a good bite on these yesterday evening. Skip to the end of a dock and let it spiral down. Wait and lift up. If it's heavy then swing. Basically a senko bite but they see those so much because everyone throws them at docks. These are new, have a spiraling action and are something they haven't seen yet. Also super versatile and can be fished as a soft jerlbait or even a topwater. Yesterday was skipping to docks and dead sticking for big females and working it as a sub surface slash bait between the docks for aggressive males. Caught 7 fish in an hour on it including a 4 and 5. These are winners. Too bad stock is limited. Let's hope they are not being discontinued. Picked up 4 more packs today.

Firstoutfisher
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Firstoutfisher » Thu Jun 09, 2022 3:57 pm

LowRange wrote:
Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:09 am
3 killed in action so far out of the 4 pack. Lost 2 and one just wore out. Had a good bite on these yesterday evening. Skip to the end of a dock and let it spiral down. Wait and lift up. If it's heavy then swing. Basically a senko bite but they see those so much because everyone throws them at docks. These are new, have a spiraling action and are something they haven't seen yet. Also super versatile and can be fished as a soft jerlbait or even a topwater. Yesterday was skipping to docks and dead sticking for big females and working it as a sub surface slash bait between the docks for aggressive males. Caught 7 fish in an hour on it including a 4 and 5. These are winners. Too bad stock is limited. Let's hope they are not being discontinued. Picked up 4 more packs today.
You've all but got me convinced to pick up some of these. Just waiting until I catch my senko fish so I can justify new plastics :laugh1: