It's True: ElaZtech does indeed melt...

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

It's True: ElaZtech does indeed melt...

Post by Drakestar » Sun Aug 09, 2020 5:20 pm

I'd heard about this several times and knew that ElaZtech does not like contact with other soft plastic baits, but I'd never seen it in action. (I always keep them separate little bags or separate compartments.) But I didn't associate Zoom products with ElaZtech and accidentally put the Zoom Frog (soft body paddle tail-kinda buzzbait made from ElaZtech) with regular Horny Toads and... well, it ain't pretty. The frog turned into goo! (The toads look fine.)
frog.jpg
frog.jpg (77.59 KiB) Viewed 5640 times

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: It's True: ElaZtech does indeed melt...

Post by Slazmo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 6:26 pm

See what it does to a Versus box. Stand and stuff taco Tuesday... And dare not store them with any other soft plastic or hard body.

It's been a love hate relationship over the decade I've dealt with Z-Mans - Moncross boxes are the only safe way to store it - but lightly drop one of those boxes and they shatter like cheap plastic.

TravisNY
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by TravisNY » Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:34 pm

Of course it’s true. Says so on the package. :D

I’ve got 100+ bags of it just in my “ned” bag. No worries of anything happening as that’s all that’s in there. The safest way to store is in the original bags. The BinderZ work great and are my grab and go. The new baitlockerZ is the stay at home vault(s). Simple.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:42 pm

Plasticizers leech from from elaztech plastics to non compatible materials, or from other plastics to elaztech. Would need to test which one or if both options are true.
Last edited by rando on Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:45 pm, edited 5 times in total.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:15 pm

It gets even worse if you mix them with a PVC bait, I learned to check after people who borrow out of my tacklebox.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm

I'e also seen them sorta melt or oval out into a flat blob while still in their packaging in enough heat.

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by rando » Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm

LowRange wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:10 pm
I'e also seen them sorta melt or oval out into a flat blob while still in their packaging in enough heat.
I always keep a bag of turds (various colors in one original bag) in my car and never had that happen. I been doing that since the first time I heard about them melting in the heat and have yet to have it happen.

Slazmo
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Slazmo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:55 pm

Good way to make your own custom colours too, just bag a few you like to mix, they bleed into themselves in no time.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am

rando wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm
LowRange wrote:
I always keep a bag of turds (various colors in one original bag) in my car and never had that happen. I been doing that since the first time I heard about them melting in the heat and have yet to have it happen.
It's only happened to me with the pepper fish looking thing and a pack of hula sticks. It's rare but it can happen.

doomtrprz71
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by doomtrprz71 » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:39 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed Aug 12, 2020 4:39 am
rando wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:42 pm
LowRange wrote:
It's only happened to me with the pepper fish looking thing and a pack of hula sticks. It's rare but it can happen.
I've never had it happen in a car, but in sunlight it will definitely happen, I learned my lesson when I left my gulp box in the back of the truck while fishing and the trout tricks and swimming trout tricks in the top of the box melted and the next set of bags down twisted.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:33 pm

My buddy was fishing in 100 plus temps yesterday, and he said he had an Elaztech senko melt off of his hook.

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm

I keep mine between my butt cheeks where it's outta the sun and the temp is consistently 98.6. Although, i could be in trouble if I'm.running a fever. On top of all that, there's a bonus scent that drives fishies crazy.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Wed Sep 02, 2020 5:19 pm

Chode wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:42 pm
I keep mine between my butt cheeks where it's outta the sun and the temp is consistently 98.6. Although, i could be in trouble if I'm.running a fever. On top of all that, there's a bonus scent that drives fishies crazy.
:lol: =D>
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.

mark poulson
TT Pro Angler
TT Pro Angler

Post by mark poulson » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:34 pm

Chode wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Sore Thumb
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Sore Thumb » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:46 pm

Chode wrote:
Wont work for everyone though. The sun shines out from there with some people. :lol: