ZOOM!

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

ZOOM!

Post by goldrod » Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 am

There are a lot of plastics in bass fishing and they all work at some point but in this saturated market ZOOM hails king for me. I definitely have to applaud they’re innovativeness and trend sitting. The brush hog, zhog, zcraw and that zcraw worm like trick worm.
The JDM market really doesn’t have a major competitor on these shores other than ZOOM in my opinion.

What’s your favorite zoom plastic?
What’s your favorite zoom color?
What’s your most productive zoom bait?

Who do you think is Zoom’s US and JDM direct competition?
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

rando
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: ZOOM!

Post by rando » Tue May 26, 2020 10:31 am

I like zoom a lot. Flukes, uv craws, speed and trick worms, lizards, brush hogs. It is really tough to beat their selection and prices/quantity. However, I have noticed that their newer products have a lot steeper prices. If the higher prices trickle down to their staples I will probably look elsewhere for creature baits and worms.

Johnny A
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Johnny A » Tue May 26, 2020 10:38 am

Zoom LEEE-ZAAARD!!! 6” Pumpkin/w chart tail ...

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am

goldrod wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 6:43 am

Trick worm, Fluke, Ultravibe Craw

Bruise/California 420 for Trick worm, Ultravibe Craw
Pearl, Watermelon Red for Fluke

I feel like if I can't get a bite on a trick worm, they're aren't any fish in the lake. :lol:

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 am

jmb27 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am
goldrod wrote:

I feel like if I can't get a bite on a trick worm, they're aren't any fish in the lake. :lol:

What setup for your trick worm?
It’s been a while since I’ve used one going to go today after the rain
For by him were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 27, 2020 11:11 am

Trickworms, Swamp Crawlers, Super Flukes, 6"/4" Lizards, I use a lot of Zoom.

Trickworms are by far my favorite though, I am on a never ending quest to find the ideal rod/reel/line combo to fish them weightless in emerging pads. I don't know if it exists but I am going to keep trying new tackle until I find something!

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 am

Houndfish wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:11 am

Trickworms are by far my favorite though, I am on a never ending quest to find the ideal rod/reel/line combo to fish them weightless in emerging pads. I don't know if it exists but I am going to keep trying new tackle until I find something!
I think We’ve been on the same quest

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 am

Houndfish wrote:

I would think an L or ML powered BFS stick would be the ticket. Something with a rigid backbone and light tip.

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:14 am
Houndfish wrote:

I would think an L or ML powered BFS stick would be the ticket. Something with a rigid backbone and light tip.

The 72 heavy ( not heavy ) Adrena is what I’ll bring

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 am
LowRange wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

For weightless trick worms?

goldrod
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by goldrod » Wed May 27, 2020 11:23 am

LowRange wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:21 am
goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:16 am
LowRange wrote:
Houndfish wrote:

For weightless trick worms?

Yes. I think I’ll give it a shot.
But I also have an X7 extreme mission with and Antares 70 that I could spool up.
I’ve not used the trick worm in some time

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Jeffbro999 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:51 am

Zoom makes some great, cheap baits(prices where they should be). Been around so long that they better work :lol:

Ultravibe Speed Worm! Florida staple in many tackle boxes. Buzz it on the surface over vegetation, weight it and swim it deeper/down grass edges, and can also fish it like a normal work on the bottom.

Super Speed Craw makes a great trailer for a slower fall while pitching to cover. Not as versatile as the UV Speed draw since you cant really punch with it, but gets more bites in general for me. Great trailer for a football jig!

Pack of flukes is always in the box. So many uses, no explanation needed. Same with a trick work, but I prefer the Magnum Trick Worm overall. Easier casting and gets bigger bites. So many ways to rig these baits.

If you can find them, add a 1/32oz tungsten bullet weight to your Trick worm. The glide is insane. Used to pick apart grass patches with that rig, and it caught way more than a Senko did. About as finesse as I ever go, but that set up just catches fish! Usually throw it on my Cumulus 7’1/Aldebaran MG, and it cast really well. Perfect pond setup if you are into that.
Last edited by Jeffbro999 on Wed May 27, 2020 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jmb27
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jmb27 » Wed May 27, 2020 11:55 am

goldrod wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 11:02 am
jmb27 wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 9:49 am
goldrod wrote:

What setup for your trick worm?
It’s been a while since I’ve used one going to go today after the rain
I fish one either on a t-rig or Shakey head with 12 lb sun line fluoro the majority of the time. Rod/Reel: Poison Ultima Versatile (66M), Metanium HG, or NRX 853c, Core 50MG.

Starting to experiment with it on a heavy down shot/power shot into cover and it worked well on the last outing.

Lastly, if fish are shallow, you can throw it weightless and fish it almost like a fluke or on a split shot rig.

Hard to fish it wrong.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Wed May 27, 2020 12:03 pm

goldrod wrote:
I think We’ve been on the same quest
LowRange wrote:
I guess I should add the big qualifier, that I want to use 15-16lb fluoro. I fish them via lift-n-dip, so the line is too slack for braid. I used to use 12lb Invizx, which works fine from my yak but I lose too many from the bank. I also pitch them or make short, sub 50' casts a lot of the time.

So I am looking for a rod with a soft enough tip to fully load a 1/4oz weight on a pitch or very soft cast but the backbone to get a bass out of the pads if one does hit it 50' out. I want a rod around 6'6" as some of the spots I fish it take some bushwacking to get to and have poor bank access which makes longer rods a pain. I need a reel free enough/with a light enough spool to make the same casts/pitches but still forgiving enough that I am not fighting lose line all day, I make a ton of casts per hour with this presentation and my thumb will slip occasionally.

The yak version as been "solved", an old cr723 GLX w/ sv105 works great. The spool has the inductor from a sv103 spool on it which tames it down perfectly with 12lb Sniper. I can make soft side arm casts with ease and accuracy, and if a fish gets stuck I can just paddle over and get it.

The bank version is proving harder. The best rod I have found so far is a new model 783c GLX. It's got the perfect power and almost the perfect taper, but the tip is too stiff for easy pitching/soft casting with the heavier fluoro. For reels I started at the bottom with a Pixy w/ DIY spool. It hold very very little 16lb Sniper but enough to work. But the reel is very challenging to control and I need to use so much thumb that it's less fun then I want it to be. A Pixy w/ stock spool holds easily enough line but still isn't controlled enough with the rod not loading fully. Moving up, an Alphas SV w/ stock spool is better, but it's still wild on pitches or soft casts. A Steez SVTW w/ sv1012 spool showed a lot of promise, but I hated the way the reel felt on the rod, so it was out. The Steez SVTW on a PA 611m+ works a lot better, but the tip is still a bit too stiff and the rod is too long. The current reel I am working with on the 783c is a TDZ w/ ZPI PG spool. The control is good as is the casting distance, and the egros are good as well. I wanted a smaller/lighter reel though. If the tip on the 783c was just a little softer I think it and the TDZ would be about perfect. The TDZ is so good on that rod for everything else I use it for that it's going to stay on there I think.

If I gave up on "no braid" this would be a lot easier. A casting version of those MH solid tip "power finesse" spinning rods sounds ideal, like the ones in the Carbon Head and new P5 Destroyer lines.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Wed May 27, 2020 12:46 pm

I would use my Zodias BFS 610ML.