drop shot plastic for bedding smallmouth

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

drop shot plastic for bedding smallmouth

Post by VAsmallies » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 pm

What's your go to drop shot plastic for bedding smallmouth? I have a little trip planned to the mountains of eastern Tennessee with my son and am trying to prepare. Looking for something compact in size. Have some 3.5 Reins bubbling shakers and 2.8 fat impacts im taking with me. What else would you suggest in that compact size, perhaps with a bit more durability for nest guarders and there nipping tendencies? Thanks to all

Drakestar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: drop shot plastic for bedding smallmouth

Post by Drakestar » Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:11 am

Jackall Cross Tail Shad if I want a small fish profile but a true drop shot bait. Comes in 3 and 4 inch and they have a green pumpkin candy color if you’re looking to imitate sunfish getting too close to the bed. (Black Winnie should also be a great sunfish imitator, never tried that one before but now I'll order some.) The action is amazing. Durability... that’s the one weak spot for what you’re looking for. (Not bad, but not above average, either.)

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:24 pm

VAsmallies wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:58 pm
What's your go to drop shot plastic for bedding smallmouth? I have a little trip planned to the mountains of eastern Tennessee with my son and am trying to prepare. Looking for something compact in size. Have some 3.5 Reins bubbling shakers and 2.8 fat impacts im taking with me. What else would you suggest in that compact size, perhaps with a bit more durability for nest guarders and there nipping tendencies? Thanks to all
I suggest a 2.8 Geekcrack Bellows Gill (non ECO version), perfect snack size and amazing undulation when nose hooked. Not going to win any awards in the durability department though, might need to look toward Zman for that avenue.

VAsmallies
Angler
Angler

Post by VAsmallies » Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:41 pm

Ive got a supply of crosstails, and they are great, but yes, not durable. Im not a fan of z-man for drop shot because of their flotation, but havent explored many hook options. Maybe if i went with a medium wire roboworm hook texas rigged it would add enough weight to even it out. Anyone experimented with that? I can see their utility in being able to toss right back in with no fussing around to rerig or grab another bait. I will look into the geecrack, heard about the bellows, but never even held anything by them. Additional question... Assuming, there's not too much cover, nose hook or texas rig your dropshots for bed fishing?

Looked on TW. Bellows Gill in cart. They look like fun. Trying to imagine what a tiny bait with those wide ribs will do in the water... guess I'll find out!

Aquaftm45
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Aquaftm45 » Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Watch out on the TW order, they only have the one color in stock. You really want the 2.8, the 3.8 is much bigger. I get mine from Japan, so not sure where else they would be in stock in the US. That bait in particular does well with a nose hook, the Texas will work, but it takes away action and you might get fewer hookups. The scent on these are really strong, so fish seem to hold them really well.

Good luck!

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am

Lake Fork baby shad in a variety of colors seals the deal

HobeyBaker
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by HobeyBaker » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:50 pm

Big Bite Baits Smallie Smasher in chartreuse pearl. Cheap, right profile/size, and bright so you can see it in the water.