How come other manufacturers don’s use as much salt as Yamamoto

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Re: How come other manufacturers don’s use as much salt as Yamamoto

Post by TK_duluthbass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:53 pm

I wonder why Larew doesn’t have a salt senko then. Does Larew even have any salt impregnated baits besides the old school craw? I also wonder why no big manufacturers use the silica? Maybe the patent would get them anyways.

toddmc
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by toddmc » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:59 pm

The theory behind salt is that blood is salty. So, fish will hold onto the salted baits longer because they get a similar taste to the real thing. I've bitten the heads off enough Senkos over the years to occasionally think that I am getting a mouthful of blood :shock: . I would think that the silica baits need to be loaded with scent to keep up with the Yamamoto. The Senkos are the worst for the fish swallowing the bait.

TK_duluthbass
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TK_duluthbass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:33 am

I found this article saying that the Gene Larew patent expired and think the article is from 2013, so that answers a couple of my questions. I’m assuming Yamamoto now has the patent since that article shared earlier in this thread said he had the patent.

http://www.genelarew.com/news-010113

Fishing4Fun
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Fishing4Fun » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:29 pm

I would think it would be for sink rate, some sort of flavor that would make fish want to hold on longer, and perhaps casting distsnce.

I have no problems with baits with salt other than longevity.

hoohoorjoo
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Post by hoohoorjoo » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:46 pm

A patent usually only lasts from 7 to 20 years, depending on what the intellectual property entails. Pretty sure the Senko has been out for at least 20 yrs now, which is probably why Zoom and everybody else now uses salt in their baits.
Try not to let your mind wander. It is much too small to be outside unsupervised.