Best jighead for Keitech Easy Shiner 4"?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Best jighead for Keitech Easy Shiner 4"?

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:00 am

What type of heads are preferred with the Keitech Easy Shiner 4"? I've been using the revenge heads and the picasso smart mouth jig head. The Picasso seems to work just as good as the Revenge heads for about half the price. I've been using 3/8oz for 10+ feet and 1/4 for anything under that.

It's just about time for me to re-up on jigheads, so I wanted to see if there may be better option before I stock up with the Picasso's.

DirtyD64
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Best jighead for Keitech Easy Shiner 4"?

Post by DirtyD64 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:54 am

I use the OMTD T-Power Finesse, in 3/16 2/0 for the 4". Fits perfect, just not as heavy as I would like. Will probably try the heavier version for the 5" coming up (the heavier version is only 3/0 to 5/0, and not tungsten).

You can also use the Owner Ball Head (weedless EWG shaky head) or the Owner Bullet head for the 4" Easy Shiner.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:15 am

Where are you fishing these swimbaits? Around grassy points, open water, around layIdowns or extra heavy grass?
I haven't fished the Easy Shiner, but have fished the swing impact and swing impact FAT. If fishing around grassy points the Picasso heads look like they should work, but I prefer jig heads with a wire or screw type bait holder like
Big Daddy's Custom Baits Swim Heads.JPG
Big Daddy's Custom Baits Swim Heads.JPG (12.95 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
or somthing simular.
If fishing around laydowns I go with something with a weed guard to prevent snags like
Blade Runner Screw Lock Weedless Swimbait Head.JPG
Blade Runner Screw Lock Weedless Swimbait Head.JPG (14.44 KiB) Viewed 8937 times
or something simular.
I'm sure you are just looking for swimbait jig heads. I usually fish swimbaits on swimjigs these days. I like the Strike King Tour Grade Swim Jig. If I'm going finesse I like the Pepper Custom Baits Micro Jig. And If fishing the heavy thick stuff I use a screwlock swimbait hook or a 4 x 4 Brandon McMillan Signature Series Swim Jig.
Last edited by spencerinstl on Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:54 am, edited 3 times in total.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:10 am

One of my very favorite plastics! Few swim as well as this one, and none are better built as Keitech is really a quality company moving quality products.

I rig mine this way: I use a 4/0 jig hook with a 60 degree bend. These can be bought in bulk, 50 for around $17. Then, I attach an Owner CPS (centering pin) in the medium size (not the large or small) to the hook. These, too, can be bought in bulk cheaply. And, then I attach the Easy Shiner nose to the CPS. I leave it loose . . . backed off about one turn from fully tightened down. Then I rig the hook up through the body with the hook tip hidden in the dorsal groove provided on the Easy Shiner.

The weight of a 4/0 hook will be enough to allow both pulling the Easy Shiner across the top of the water or just below the surface; or, it can be allowed to drop down to different depths in the water column. It can be fished off the bottom, too, with a slow drag or hopping it.

If you need to get down faster, say in deeper water, you could press one a split shot somewhere above the hook or onto the keel of the hook.

Anyway, a very versatile presentation to figure out where fish are biting. They always seem interested in the Easy Shiner. Now, if only I could buy Easy Shiners in bulk. I'd buy a 50 bag if I could.

Brad

jerkbait22
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jerkbait22 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:13 am

Thanks for the responses guys. I'm fishing primarily clear deeper water in the 15-25 foot range. Mostly open water with a mixture of rock and grass. In dirtier water or in heavier cover I like the swing impact fat.

I think the easy shiner is a more natural presentation for clear water. I'm usually crawling it with the 3/8oz head on the bottom bumping rocks or retrieving it just over weedbeds occasionally letting it catch and ripping free. I just started using the easy shiner and it's been really good so I bought 8 more packs and just need more jigheads now like I mentioned.

I was leary of using a head with a screw lock - does that mess up the integrity of the bait? I thought the act of twisting it around the hook might mess up the thin plastic but I could be wrong. I brought some superglue with me last outing to put on the keeper to see if that helped but didn't end up needing it.
Last edited by jerkbait22 on Thu Jul 20, 2017 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spencerinstl
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spencerinstl » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:29 am

On a jig you don't have to twist the bait on the screw like a screwlock swimbait hook, you can just push it on.
If you are having good luck with the bait staying on the Picasso Swimjig Heads and your getting them for a good price then I would stick with them, unless your just wanting to try something else.
Thanks for the epiphany captain obvious

spookybaits
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by spookybaits » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:59 pm

I fish em on these style weighted hooks-
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Gamakats ... -GSSL.html

Keeps em horizontal when swimming & on the fall. But I swim em, never tried hopping them on the bottom like a jig.

ChubbyGoby28
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ChubbyGoby28 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:38 am

For shallow shallow ultra realistic, i love the megabass minnow head 10 or less.

For deeper water up to 40' on either spinning or casting combos the Big bite baits minnow head and ball head jigs are truly the best!

Dirty jigs guppy head looks so perfect, but until it changes up the hooks it uses I'll never fishing it again!

Revenge headers are better suited for casting gear with thicker hooks.

Owner ball heads work and function fantastic for easy shiners but my OCD tells me a ballhead doest look as sexy as a darter/minnow style head but they fit perfectly with larger 3.8" + Fat Impacts