GY Senko good alternatives?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
IL Basser
Angler
Angler

GY Senko good alternatives?

Post by IL Basser » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:07 am

So getting back into fishing since the beginning of the year after a long period of not being able to fish at all for the most part.

My favorite bait and really my only bait I ever use is the Senko (I know cheating) but they are quite expensive for a package when they rip so easy. ( I ordered some mend-it and I'll give that a try)

My question , is there a good alternative for a Senko as far as better durability and about the same weight/density so it still sinks?
Yum dingers kinda float weightless and I only ever use the Senko weightless. (havent been skunked this year on fish at all fishing about every other day for the past 3-4 months)

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: GY Senko good alternatives?

Post by big_gee » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:26 am

Senko is still the best. I use some Strike King but they don't sink like a senko so I add a nail weigh to it.

accodn2ryan
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by accodn2ryan » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:24 am

If you're having problems with the YUM dingers sinking, you can always add one of those suspend strips to your hook to help it sink. I'm assuming you're using fluorocarbon right?

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:14 pm

Strike King Ochos aren't necessarily an alternative to a senko, but are similar enough to warrant a mention. They are great for neko rigging and swimming around on a weighted hook like Owner's twistlock light weighted. They're pretty durable when rigged correctly and have a unique action regardless of how you rig them. They don't come in 10^17th different colors, but do come in the colors that catch fish. Ghost minnow, blue craw, and Double Header (Grn pump/wm red flk) are my favorites. They're a little cheaper than Senkos, too, but like I said they're not really a replacement.
This is the way.

poisonokie
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by poisonokie » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:15 pm

Also, do yourself a favor and get a wacky o ring tool. They're a great money saving investment.
This is the way.

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:43 pm

poisonokie wrote:Also, do yourself a favor and get a wacky o ring tool. They're a great money saving investment.
Just bought two today!

I use mostly light braided line (power pro) on everything because of all the grass lakes i fish and wading super rocky creek beds.

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:07 am

I used to write a lot of fishing related articles. I was always a GYCB skeptic. I've used them but believed there was nothing special about them. For the last 10yrs or so I've lived in Fl and I fish crystal clear water......Senkos beat the rest hands down, consistently.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:16 pm

I use Senkos and other brands, mostly BPS Stick-O and the Wacky Worm brand.

I have noted that the larger the size, the greater the performance difference. I could not tell any difference in 3-inch, and just a little difference in the 4-inch.

Anyone else notice that?

I will use 4-inch BPS when testing gear, etc., and Senkos in tournaments.

FYI there's an interesting thread in the General section on lure weights. Two of us have weighed many lures, including Senkos and the various knock-offs.

One interesting point is that a 2.75 oz Z-man TRD weighs more than a 3-inch Senko. Nuts be loaded with salt.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm

I wish I could edit...nuts into must...

Used to be able to edit posts.

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:07 pm

LOL!

That is interesting. After this last day of fishing using four brands and all the same color hands down i consistantly had more strikes on my Senko. Same set up I just switch them everytime i caught a fish or if i wasnt getting any hits. There was a consist hit on senko and the Yum Dingers but the yum dinger needed a weight in. The Senko had the most overall catches by 7 bass and 1 crappie.

BlaineFred
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by BlaineFred » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:21 pm

IL Basser wrote:LOL!

That is interesting. After this last day of fishing using four brands and all the same color hands down i consistantly had more strikes on my Senko. Same set up I just switch them everytime i caught a fish or if i wasnt getting any hits. There was a consist hit on senko and the Yum Dingers but the yum dinger needed a weight in. The Senko had the most overall catches by 7 bass and 1 crappie.
Good info.

What size were you throwing?

I can accept your conclusion if they were 5 inches of more.

As I said, size makes a difference!

IL Basser
Angler
Angler

Post by IL Basser » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:11 am

6 and 5 inch all green pumpkin seed some had red flake like the senko. After i was done with the assessment I switch to my new go to color of perch and continued to have a hay day. I have some of the 4 or 3 inch the smallest they have and only use them when i run out but that has been fixed with the O ring solution. I would hook two on to one hook for bass on for rock bass and other pan fish

Giqqo
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Giqqo » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:18 am

There is a small company called Nikko baits that makes some killer senkos. I have had one last for 32 fish. They only come in a pack of four and the action is great. Give them a look

kadas1
Angler
Angler

Post by kadas1 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:41 am

I have developed a lot of confidence in the Gambler Ace. Seems to draw as much attention as a GY and considerably cheaper

toporanger
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by toporanger » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:46 am

I have had good luck with https://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/s ... stic-lures

he does a good job of matching the senko fall and you can adjust it by adding or removing salt.