Snake Lures

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
IlliniDawg01
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Snake Lures

Post by IlliniDawg01 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:14 am

Anyone remember the old Doug Hannon foam headed copperhead snake lure?

My brother and I used to love fishing these in our family pond growing up. Hookup ratios were pretty terrible (mostly small bass in the pond and we didn't use very big hooks), but man was it a lot of fun seeing blowups on them.

While searching for some on ebay I found these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/181989085599?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

and these:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/401141808024?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

Has anyone used either and had much success?

Then I found this store:

http://www.bogbaits.com/bogs-snake-lures.html?page=all

No way I'm going to be able to hold off from trying out some of those. The 8" Rattle Snake and 12" Natural Serpent are too enticing not to give a whirl.

Anyone know of any other worthy snake lure options? Needs to at least have a floating head to be considered.

DaveJ

africanbass
TT Moderator
TT Moderator

Re: Snake Lures

Post by africanbass » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:34 pm

I had plenty of fun fishing the Doug Hannon snakes in the past.
Pair them with a light enough hook and they work the surface like magic
Only drawback is that they are not easy to cast due to their variable resistance during a cast
Need to give these are try again :D
Happiness is a sore thumb

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:10 am

Growing up, with the old Zebco 33, I definitely remember these. They were so cool looking, but I had the same issue with hook ups. Missed way more than I caught. But they were a blast. I still have 1 head, kinda like a omage to the past. Haven't tried it in 15 years probably.

SCBASSIN
Angler
Angler

Post by SCBASSIN » Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:23 am

I still have a handful of both the large & medium one & still fish them. I seem to have a better catch ratio on the smaller one.

soulfisher
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by soulfisher » Mon Feb 06, 2017 3:36 am

I have fished the old Hannon Snakebait by Burke and have had success. Seems to work better using a culprit (or any other type of trailer) than what is provided. The the new'er type 'Fishing Snake' that is pictured with the DVD package is a gimmick and the idea was from Hannon's business manager - not Doug himself. The business manager came up with the idea to use the rubber stuff that dentists use to create a tooth mold during a dentist visit.

The manns hardnose snake is pretty much the best floating snake i have found in recent years. It's a close replica of the Original Manns Auger Snake and it casts better as well. The original auger snake is my favorite, but they are very hard to find (at least the 11" are anyway). The hardnose version is made of a tougher plastic and unlike the original, it floats.

Sometimes it's good to bring back legacy baits that these millennial bass had not ever experienced.

johnnybassboat
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by johnnybassboat » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:45 am

I have seen the Bog Baits in person and they look great. They also make some neat looking frogs. They are made in my home state,a couple hours from my home. They are always at the large fishing shows around here. I have not used them but have been tempted.

Lafayette
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Lafayette » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:29 am

I have several snake lures from bog baits.

They are really good looking and well made.

But some of them looks better than they swims depending the model.

Still a very nice shop, the frog scent has always intrigate me, ;)