Plastics on the drop

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Hogsticker2
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Plastics on the drop

Post by Hogsticker2 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:30 pm

Looking for suggestions on tantalizing baits you have found that often get picked up while they're falling. I've had success with various paddle tails, finesse worms / flick shakes, and Keitech crazy flappers.

Jeffbro999
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Plastics on the drop

Post by Jeffbro999 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:48 pm

I know your probably looking for more action, but one that I have been having great luck with over the years is the Fluke. Gama EWG 1/8oz swimbait hook gives it a nice spiraling flutter on the fall and drives fish crazy. I like working down a heavy grass line(wall of hydrilla) and let them fall next to the edge.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:43 am

One really cool new offering, I guess it came out about a year ago, is the VMC Glide Jig. It comes in two sizes and several colors.

I would recommend one alteration: take its little plastic bait holder pin and replace it with a high quality Owner CPS Spring. Much better!

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Owner_CP ... OCPSS.html

Anyway, see the VMC thing here in an Oklahoma blade:

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/VMC_Glid ... VMCGJ.html

There is also a willow blade.

Be sure the plastic worm or whatever you use isn't too large as it will overwhelm the action.

What does it do? Well, it sort of looks like a paper plane gliding downward . . . cutting back and forth in sort of a spiral.

It is a bit on the "finesse side," I think, just owing to the size of the hook and the plastic. Still a neat idea and productive for suspended fish.

Several videos out there, too, to view.

Brad

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Brad in Texas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:47 am

One other I should have mentioned is the new "drop dead hook." It has a keel weight and there is an associated fluke that many use with this hook. It is supposed to have great action falling very horizontally and at least one of the pro anglers in a video mentioned that bass are more attracted to horizontal presentations than more vertical ones.

For a video on it and how effective it can be, go to YouTube and look up Lake Fork Guy where he sort of accidentally found out how deadly this can be around docks.

Brad

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:44 am

I fish 4 inch Swiming Dingers on a pegged 1/8 conical sinker a lot and that bait is eaten on the drop the majority of the time as are Ned rigs. I think anytme you're swimming a small plastic on a light jig head you're going to get a lot of bites as the bait slowly falls. I'll use a 1/16 ounce Bitsy Bug with a trimmed skirt in place of a mushroom head for the slow fall the jig's skirt provides. 1/16 Bitsy Bug and 2.8 crazy flapper are deadly BTW but you definitely need to bust out the BFS gear for that one though.

I use Havoc Flat Dawgs for weightless wacky. When I'm fishing senko type baits wacky rigged and begin to notice that all the bites occur as the bait falls I'll switch to the Flat Dawg for that super slow fall with subtle tip wiggle. Conversely, if all the bites occur only after the bait has been dead sticked on the bottom I'll add a weighted wacky hook to increase fall rate to get the bait where it needs to be more quickly or I'll switch to a bottom contact presentation like a skakey head.