Ned Rig for Panfish

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Ned Rig for Panfish

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:51 am

Has anyone modded or somehow used some Zman Ela-Z-Tech plastics for micro Ned rigging? I caught quite a few on a regular Ned rig but I feel a smaller bait would yield more fish. I didn't know if people tore parts off of other Ela-Z-Tech baits or not. Im going to try to tear a claw off of a Ela-Z-Tech craw and try it out. Don't see why it wouldn't work.

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Ned Rig for Panfish

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:50 am

Half a zman finesse worm would give a much smaller profile, if that's what you're after.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:11 am

If I did that, It would still have the "wide" profile. I could cut in in half length-wise and width-wise and try that.

jtgibso1
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by jtgibso1 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:32 am

i was thinking maybe their split tail trailers they make? figure out a way to use that or part of one of their finesse shadz?

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:22 am

jtgibso1 wrote:i was thinking maybe their split tail trailers they make? figure out a way to use that or part of one of their finesse shadz?
I didn't even think of those. I have some from Chatterbaits. They make horrible trailers but they may serve a new purpose. Wont be too affective right now because the panfish like to suspend this time of year where I live.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 am

I would take a zman Leachz and cut in half and trim whatever shape you want. I love the action of the leachz as it has a flat profile and it moves a lot. It has become one of my favorite drop shot baits and the plus is it is already scented with pro cure.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:17 am

big_gee wrote:I would take a zman Leachz and cut in half and trim whatever shape you want. I love the action of the leachz as it has a flat profile and it moves a lot. It has become one of my favorite drop shot baits and the plus is it is already scented with pro cure.
Ill check those out

Tim Kelly
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Tim Kelly » Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:33 pm

ccass wrote:If I did that, It would still have the "wide" profile. I could cut in in half length-wise and width-wise and try that.
The finesse wormz are pretty skinny. http://zmanfishing.com/store/categories ... esse_wormz

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:12 pm

Has you tried it with the regular size, while fishing for Bass I usually catch lots of Panfish in between Bass, you'd be amazed at how small some of em are.

Hobie-Wan Kenobi
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Hobie-Wan Kenobi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:15 pm

TFOUR wrote:Has you tried it with the regular size, while fishing for Bass I usually catch lots of Panfish in between Bass, you'd be amazed at how small some of em are.
I have caught gills while bass fishing with the TRD. Its a little big for them for the most part

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 4:20 am

I'd go with a ZMan finesse worm cut down to about 1.75" on a Shroomz head.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:56 pm

Some good suggestions with the Leech and Earthworm is spoton with the 4" finesse worm cut down. Completely different shape between the 7" finesse worm and the 4". You might look at cutting down the finesse shadZ as well.

I will add, if you really want to get down and dirty modifying an ElaZtec bait, use a hot knife. I have an old junk pocket knife that I heat with a lighter for a few seconds. Cuts like butter. I've been making Larew Slab Slayer type baits for crappie out of ZinkerZ using an empty .45ACP brass case heated up and the hot knife. I hold the brass with pliers, and its a bit awkward but works.

I just wish the chartreuse glow color ZinkerZ hadn't been discontinued. Dynamite color for crappie.

Houndfish
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Houndfish » Tue Nov 29, 2016 12:37 pm

jtgibso1 wrote:i was thinking maybe their split tail trailers they make? figure out a way to use that or part of one of their finesse shadz?
I messed around a bit this summer fishing the Z-man split trailers (the very tiny ones that come on the small chatterbaits they sell) on these little BG Crappie jigheads;

I used the larger 1/24oz ones as the triple keeper really holds the plastics well. I called it an "Ed" rig, as it was a shorter "Ned". :lol:

In any case, it worked well enough, but at the time I didn't have a rod that would cast such light lures so I only used them on two or three trips. They also don't seem to sell the tiny trailers separately, which really put a damper on my testing, I think I started with siz of them and iirc I ended my testing with only one or two left. I meant to call Zman to see if they would sell me more of them but never got around to it.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:07 am

The ED Rig! I like it.
Good suggestion on those jigheads. I like that keeper.
I will ask about the smaller chatterbait trailers.

Another bait I've been using with a lot of success on crappie this winter is the Z-Man Slim SwimZ. A lot of little swimbaits dont have great action; these DO! Most of the time I'm vertical jigging it with an 1/8, but I do sometimes like to pitch it out past my marker and let it swing back over it. They are dynamite.

I suppose you could cut the paddle tail off and have something resembling a Garland Baby Shad for a very subtle action. I haven't tried that yet as I just love the action on that tail.

eyra_kid
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by eyra_kid » Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:37 am

Houndfish, sorry to report that they are no longer producing the mini split tail trailers, or packaging them with the small chatterbaits. Perhaps you could trim one of the regular size trailers to the size you need?