Floating plastics?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Handler
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Floating plastics?

Post by Handler » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:44 am

Anyone know of any highly buoyant plastics? I thinking Neko rig and Carolina rig as applications.

I know Elastech floats, but it also eventually melts half a tackle box no matter how careful I am. I've heard hand poured and more buoyant than machine poured. What's the gold standard out there that just reliably floats without hassle?

Cracker
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Floating plastics?

Post by Cracker » Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:15 am

Fish Arrow Airbug shad
Fish Arrow Airbug grub

ec1
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by ec1 » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:39 pm

http://nikko-fishing.com
These float very well but it will be hard to source. Claims to be biodegradable and as of now, I've had small smallies, bluegill and crappie eat these up. Much more durable than gulp, and seems to be getting hits just as well. I need more time to confirm its effectiveness.

big_gee
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by big_gee » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:31 am

Nothing floats like the ZMan elastics. I keep them in the original bag and I have no problems. I do spray scent in the bags.

LowRange
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by LowRange » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:48 am

Handler wrote:Anyone know of any highly buoyant plastics? I thinking Neko rig and Carolina rig as applications.

I know Elastech floats, but it also eventually melts half a tackle box no matter how careful I am. I've heard hand poured and more buoyant than machine poured. What's the gold standard out there that just reliably floats without hassle?
The soft plastic Z man uses will react (melt) when in contact with other soft plastics of differing chemistry. This has been a known issue since the terminator snap back and strike king XXX soft plastics. As long as you keep the baits in their packaging they will be fine.

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 am

LowRange wrote:
Handler wrote:Anyone know of any highly buoyant plastics? I thinking Neko rig and Carolina rig as applications.

The soft plastic Z man uses will react (melt) when in contact with other soft plastics of differing chemistry. This has been a known issue since the terminator snap back and strike king XXX soft plastics. As long as you keep the baits in their packaging they will be fine.
Fun with Science!! :laugh1:

earthworm77
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by earthworm77 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:13 am

Cracker wrote:Fish Arrow Airbug shad
Fish Arrow Airbug grub

I think they are called "Air Bag". ZMan also float really well.

Nitroman77
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Nitroman77 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:26 am

Xcites plastics float..
THkustoms.com
Dobyns rods
Omega custom tackle
Biospawn
seaguar
phoenix boats

mrtori
Angler
Angler

Post by mrtori » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:26 am

I am having another similar post and seems I can find answer here. Thanks guys and happy holidays =D>

Snyder Rods
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Snyder Rods » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:41 pm

Most of the Producto Lure plastics float REALLY well.

Pen3
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Pen3 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:28 pm

I dont know what happened, but last time I had zman, it melted the carpet on my boat... I was very upset and git rid of it all.