Worms

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Worms

Post by Scattergun2570 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:26 am

I have never thrown worms,, I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.. So as far as 6-7 " worms,, what do you guys use..and when, where,etc.. And how you rig them,

BucketHunter
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Re: Worms

Post by BucketHunter » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:37 am

In simplicity it's just a different profile to offer the fish where you would normally texas rig something, for me anyways.
It was the original T Rig soft plastic for most of us. Then guys got on to flipping tubes, and then the creature bait came along and opened Pandora's Box.
Like most other styles of plastic baits, some have a lot of action, some have very little. All have a time and a place, and with everyone and their brother throwing some beaver variation out there, I think you would be surprised at how effective they can be. It used to be the only thing bass saw on a T Rig. Now I wonder how many have even seen one fished that way.
I lean towards the Yamamoto catalogue for my worms. A few different styles, for a lot of different conditions.
Growing up, 7 " Berkley Powerworms in Tequila Sunrise and Red Shad were mainstays for me. I think I still have a few packs floating around. That was back when everything I owned was tossed on a St Croix 7M Premier Spinning rod with 15lb XT!

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by darrin » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:45 pm

Wow. Too many ways to answer. A plastic worm is just like any other lure in your arsenal. It really is just a tool. I happen to use worms year round. In general, at least for me, as the water warms, I go to larger and more action tail worms (think ribbon tails like RI big unit). During the dead of winter where I fish, it's a 4" Roboworm. I will fish worms in any and all environments. Just depends on what the fish want. In weeds and such, I'll fish worms texas, neko or wacky. When I'm in open water over structure, usually it's drop shot, carolina rig or texas. If it's not too deep, then split shot works for me. Like BucketHunter, I lean on Yamamoto a lot, but also Roboworm and Zoom. There is lots of information on the internet. I would also suggest just searching and reading. But most importantly, just get there and bring nothing but worms and commit a few days to it. But I would recommend fluorocarbon to help the bite detection. Bass do not hammer a worm per say like they do a crankbait or jig. And work them slow too. I've never had much luck working worms fast. Hope this helps!

dirtygeary
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by dirtygeary » Tue Jun 28, 2016 12:49 am

Scattergun2570 wrote:I have never thrown worms,, I know that sounds ridiculous, but it's true.. So as far as 6-7 " worms,, what do you guys use..and when, where,etc.. And how you rig them,
In New York, go get senkos, 4/0 hook, weightless and Fluorocarbon line. Go fish now! Life changing. Any weather any time.

FrankW
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by FrankW » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:51 pm

Hi Scattergun2570,

You have been missing out on a great way to catch Bass particularly in grass. If you are fishing heavy grass and want a 6"
to 7" worm try Zoom Trick Worm in Black, Green Pumpkin or June Bug. One of these basic colors is a good place to start. I use to fish ribbon tails but found that the tails tended to get stuck in the grass. The straight tailed Trick Worm or a stick baits come through the grass easier than a ribbon tail. Texas rig and get some 6th Sense Peg X or Decoy Texas Lock Pegs to lock your weight.

Frank

cortman
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by cortman » Tue Jun 28, 2016 11:44 pm

I had great success earlier this year on Rage Tail ReCon worms. Only problem is that you'll use them up- they rip easily and the body is pretty slender.
Berkley Power Worms are a good old standby as well.

cure-hb
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by cure-hb » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:32 am

I use worms all the time, love Gary Yamamoto 5" senko, I caught most of my fishes with weightless.