Rigging Grubs

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Rigging Grubs

Post by Scattergun2570 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:37 pm

What type of hook would you use to rig a 4 "or 5" Kalins single tail grub.Is a light wire hook better for grubs?

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Rigging Grubs

Post by smalljaw » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:04 pm

You could use a lot of different hooks. For me, 3" and 4" grubs I like using with small jig heads with light wire or Aberdeen hooks. For T-rig a grub that is 4" or 5" well that is a different story, and it depends on where I'm throwing it and the tackle I'm fishing it on. Open water swimming and bottom hopping with a 5" grub I'll be using a standard wire hook with a medium power casting set up with a 1/8oz or 3/16oz weight for depth up to 10'. If I'm fishing it in weeds I may opt to use a Gamakatsu super line hook or Owner Worm Rig-N-Hook, but the hook will match how I'm going to fish it which means what kind of cover and what kind of tackle. 90% of the time I throw a 3" grub on a 1/16oz or 1/8oz jig head with a light wire hook and I'm throwing it on medium and sometimes medium light spinning tackle with 6lb to 8lb line max.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:44 pm

Bullet or darter head with 1/0 to 4/0 hook

2/0 or 3/0 EWG if t-rigged

For a bait of this size I feel there are only downsides to using a light wire hook. I would only use light wire on a 3 inch or smaller bait, in an area with little to no thick cover and on 8lb test or lighter. If I was fishing in saltwater, I would also want to be fishing in an area where a larger more aggressive bycatch is fairly unlikely...and I'd still just rather use a heavy wire hook if possible. As long as the size of the hook is appropriate for the bait, I don't find much use for light wire hooks outside of panfish these days.

Scattergun2570
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Scattergun2570 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:40 pm

oops wrote:Bullet or darter head with 1/0 to 4/0 hook

2/0 or 3/0 EWG if t-rigged

For a bait of this size I feel there are only downsides to using a light wire hook. I would only use light wire on a 3 inch or smaller bait, in an area with little to no thick cover and on 8lb test or lighter. If I was fishing in saltwater, I would also want to be fishing in an area where a larger more aggressive bycatch is fairly unlikely...and I'd still just rather use a heavy wire hook if possible. As long as the size of the hook is appropriate for the bait, I don't find much use for light wire hooks outside of panfish these days.

So t-rigged.. You throw into weeds?

Chode
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by Chode » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:04 am

shakey head

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed May 11, 2016 7:44 am

When fishing rocky free flowing rivers for smallies i rig 5" kalins on a 1/8- 3/16 oz. ball head jigs. Mostly 3/16

For greenies in lakes i'll t rig 5" kalins on a GAMMI 3/0 EWG hook with a 1/8-3/16oz bullet sinker left to slide freely.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat May 14, 2016 3:39 pm

I fish 4" and 5" grubs in wood cover. Rig on Gammy or Hyabusa 3/0 and 4/0 EWG's.

mokujon
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by mokujon » Fri May 27, 2016 11:10 am

Do you guys rig your grubs with the tail up or tail down? Or does it make no difference to you? I usually rig mine tail down.

oops
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by oops » Fri May 27, 2016 1:00 pm

tail down, the tail can get tangled on an open hook easier when rigged tail up. ive heard that the bait has better action on the drop when rigged tail down but i dont know how true that is

RGMatt
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by RGMatt » Wed Jun 01, 2016 8:22 am

oops wrote:tail down, the tail can get tangled on an open hook easier when rigged tail up. ive heard that the bait has better action on the drop when rigged tail down but i dont know how true that is
X2

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:28 am

Kalin's says to rig them tail down on a jig head, and I do. Definitely less likely to have the tail grab the hook, but it also gives a clean flow of water to the tail--no hook eye, knot, or hook to create "turbulence" so I think the tail is slightly more free to move.

OkobojiEagle
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by OkobojiEagle » Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:31 am

Randingo wrote:it also gives a clean flow of water to the tail--no hook eye, knot, or hook to create "turbulence" so I think the tail is slightly more free to move.
](*,) You're trying way too hard...

Rig it tail up or tail down until the hook tears up that side then rig it the opposite way. Both options catch bass.

oe

Randingo
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Randingo » Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:05 am

OkobojiEagle wrote:(*,) You're trying way too hard...
oe
You're right! :lol: But I still think they work better when rigged with the tail down. Not that they don't catch fish tail up, but they fish more efficiently tail down.