6" Senkos - How do you fish yours ?

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: 6" Senkos - How do you fish yours ?

Post by Brad in Texas » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:53 am

Gosh, only Matt (on the TB video) would notice a detail like that, that a Senko has a tiny bow in its shape! He and his partner always have great ideas.

I'd have to say wacky rigged as you'd want to exploit the very advantage a Senko has over most similar plastic worms. Few others fall like that. Add that to the fact that so many plastics get hit on the fall or very soon after they hit it.

And, there is supposedly a "bass preference" for baits of all sorts falling horizontally through the water column, this over those that fall vertically. There are lots of plastic worms that, once on the bottom, might be better than a Senko, more apt to put their tails up in the air or wave around in current, etc.

I'd still try a keel weighted hook and my preference would be the new VMC drop dead hooks in the lightest selection available. What is unique about these hooks is the long length of their shanks. I replace the bait keeper that comes stock with these hooks with the incomparable Owner CPS centering pins in the medium size. This will give any plastic an enhanced "bite down" area and softness for more hook sets.

Brad

Ranger Ron 620 DVS
Angler
Angler

Post by Ranger Ron 620 DVS » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:51 am

One of the baits that I have had the most success with this year is using the "Dead-Sticking" method with the 6" Yamamoto "Senko." This bait is perfect to use for "Dead-Sticking". Although it is nothing more than a thin, straight piece of plastic when it is out of the water, it literally comes alive with just the right action to entice bass in colder water. The "Netbaits" have also worked very well this year, as have the "Bearpaws" 'Lazy Sticks". It is perfect for letting sink slowly to the bottom, or for "Dropshotting". Because of the salt content in these baits, it sinks a little faster than an unsalted lure. These baits are perfect for a lot of different situations, as long as you have to patience to let them sink. You really don't have to do anything to these lures, except let them sink slowly on a slack line. I rig them on a 2/0 or 3/0 hooks, and I use "Sunline JDM FC Sniper BMS Azayaka Fluorocarbon Line" twelve pound test .The trick is to pay very close attention to the line, sometimes you might feel a bite, but generally you will not. I just move the rod tip a little bit to see if I can feel the weight of the bass. If I can't, I just let it fall slowly to the bottom again. The action really comes when the bait is falling, so you have to lift the rod slowly, and let it fall back again as you work it across the bottom. There is even a new larger "Senko" for this year that I am looking forward to using. Even the new "Cut-Tail Worm" may work well in these "Cold Water Situations", and I am looking forward to trying them out this year.

BRONZEBACK32
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Post by BRONZEBACK32 » Sat May 06, 2017 1:47 pm

Texas rig weightless if I want some distance, but wacky is my favorite.

Yamamoto only .

rt dak
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by rt dak » Sun May 07, 2017 2:05 am

Wacky the majority of the time, texas the rest. Always weightless.