yum wooly hawgtail

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
timsford
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

yum wooly hawgtail

Post by timsford » Sun Aug 16, 2015 7:04 pm

Well i was pretty stoked to see that yum started producing the wooly hawgtail again in both sizes. The 4.5" size in black/blue has caught me more big stringers than any other particular bait or technique. I once had a 24 lb stringer during a mid july tournament here when no one else managed more than 3 keepers. My favorite way to rig it is an unpegged 3/16 oz bullet weight, 4/0 gammy ewg, and a glass rattle if its muddy. The 3 inch size in black/blue rigged with a 1/8 oz bullet weight and 1/0 gammy has kept me from getting skunked more times than i can count. In clear water lakes for smallmouth, or shallow murky ponds for largemouth, these have always been a confidence bait of mine. My cousin and i work opposite schedules so we very rarely get to fish together anymore. Everytime a possible fishing trip comes up in conversation, he always mentions the wooly hawgtails. If its a possible partner tourney he always says be sure you bring those, and if its for fun he always says if i dont share the fish on those dont count lol. Im very happy yum decided to start producing these again. The only issue is for some reason they make the 3 inch but no black/blue. I get bit with the other colors but never as well, even in clear water when one would assume watermelon or gp would catch more. I have kept this bait a secret for years but i only have one bag of 3" left and cant seem to find them anywhere. Does anyone know of any retailer that has these or of any fishing buddies with some for sale or trade. If you havent tried these before, definitely give it a shot. They may become your favorite bait too. Ive learned of so many great baits and techniques from tackle tour so i thought it was time i passed on one of mine.