Questions on Toad fishing

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
lifeofRiley
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Questions on Toad fishing

Post by lifeofRiley » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:25 pm

Have gotten back into throwing the buzzing toads lately and wondering what hook people most often use for a horny toad or RI trixie shark? These are my two favorite toads. Not as impressed with the ribbit or some other generic/knock offs that I've tried. So far I have been using a 1/8oz. owner beast hook.

smalljaw
Pro Angler
Pro Angler

Re: Questions on Toad fishing

Post by smalljaw » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Gamakatsu G-Lock worm hook in a 5/0. I have a stash of Yum Buzz frogs that I like and I bought a bunch when they were discontinued and I've tried a bunch of hooks and the G-Lock was the last one I tried and it has been fantastic. Before those I was using the Gamakatsu super line hooks and they were good as well but after a few fish the frog would slide down, it doesn't happen very much with the G-Lock.

Dorado2
Newbie Angler
Newbie Angler

Post by Dorado2 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 pm

My favorite hook lately for the Horny Toad has been the Damiki weightless D-Hold hook 3/0. Great hooks in my opinion, coupled with mend-it glue really extends the life of my toads. When the wire rips out of the bait from a fish, it slices which makes it easy to repair as opposed to ripping out chunks of plastic as a hook would do with a keeper pin. Tried Owner Riggin hooks and Owner and Troker Swimbait hooks w/twist lock pins before settling on the Damiki. Also now use the damiki for my Keitech Fat Impacts.

Basspastor
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by Basspastor » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:54 pm

For Horny Toads I like a 4/0 Stanley Ribbit Double Take Hook. I use Tyger wire leader to prevent pike break offs.

TFOUR
Senior Angler
Senior Angler

Post by TFOUR » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:23 am

I've always used horny toads and a single weighted hook, fish it all over florida and found no reason to change. Screw lock works great.

Fishinfanatic115
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Fishinfanatic115 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:40 am

Laugh if you want, but I've always used the Zoom Toad hooks with no issue. Tried Lazer Trokar unweighted swimbait hooks this year, and those worked pretty good as well.

Seph
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Post by Seph » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:31 pm

I use a 4/0 Gamakatsu Superline Spring Lock hook.

Any good 4/0 or 5/0 (depending on brand due to size variance) spring lock hook will work. If you haven't tried the springs I would strongly recommend them because the plastics will last much longer on this type of rig. When you do finally wear a plastic out it is usually torn up on the bottom where the hook has pushed through the bait on a hook set so many times it no longer will fish weedless. When this happens all you need to do is rotate the frog 180 degrees more around the hook and fish the other side until it is also worn through. Very quick. Very efficient.

Bassmar
Platinum Angler
Platinum Angler

Post by Bassmar » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:29 pm

I use a keel weighted Gamakatsu screw lock hook in 4/0 or 5/0. Weight varies depending on cover being fished.