Hooks in ringed or ribbed worms

It all started with the plastic worm and has now mutated into a huge array of specialized offerings. Whose is the best and which one is your favorite? Come share your thoughts and opinions here.
Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Hooks in ringed or ribbed worms

Post by Brad in Texas » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:06 am

Gosh, I had just about given up on two sources of the plastic worms with the concentric rings on an otherwise skinny main body. Texas rigging through the nose, then down marking the proper penetration through that skinny midsection area then skin hooking through a few of the rings? Well, it just tears up the worm owing to the thinness there at that body penetration.

So, I was watching a video on the Grande Bass website and one of them showed a better way to rig these: The same through the nose, twist, and bringing the hook down to determine where to stick the hook back up through the body, EXCEPT you don't.

What you do is bring the hook up along the side and instead of penetrating the bait in its midsection, you just run it up along the outside and immediately skin hook it through, what, I guess 3 or 4 of the rings toward the top of the worm.

The worms hang absolutely straight down, then after a fish or so, if you have to re-hook, you run the hook through the rings on the opposite side.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=p ... kGXXJZ43m0

Brad

darrin
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hooks in ringed or ribbed worms

Post by darrin » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:33 am

Funny, but that was one of the first ways I learned to rig a worm weedless. Back then, we called it skin hooking. It's how we rigged up tubes and reapers with a straight shank hook with light line for split shotting. Still a good method to rig weedless if the cover isn't too thick.

Brad in Texas
Elite Angler
Elite Angler

Re: Hooks in ringed or ribbed worms

Post by Brad in Texas » Sat Jun 13, 2015 11:03 am

On a regular full bodied worm, I still skin hook it but after I have penetrated the worm in its middle. I have a partner who leaves the hook embedded in the middle of the plastic but I think one gets a better hook set if all the bass has to do is break the point loose from a very tiny thin piece of plastic.

I had just never seen a skin hook sort of off to the side without first penetrating the worm itself.

With these ringed worms, it really seems to do the trick and holds up very well.

Brad